Who is Snoke?

Replies

• Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    Ya - on general some created a thread about who is the best leader for the DSTB.

I responded saying: does it matter? no team makes it passed phase 4 of a mission anyways, not matter the make up of the team (joke)

Some troll responded saying "work on your DS, I feel sorry for you" lol - what and ID10T, lol
  • Options
    Haha as if you hadn’t heard of a single person who passed phase 4. Some exaggerations are so great, they are obviously a joke.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    Those wampas and rebel elites (healing and taunting and all that) are such a joke. I cant believe DSTB was released in this state, its beyond terrible.

Maybe it is only doable with a Snoke lead - his mere existence will confuse the opponent team not knowing who he is or where he came from they are all permanently stunned and dazed - easy pickings.

It could be his unique - "Mystery Man" lol
  • Options
    When it comes to Snoke, I really don't want to be definite about his past because there is so much ambiguity surrounding it. That being said, I am fairly certain that Snoke isn't Plagueis. Not only is there a bunch of canon evidence, but also evidence coming right from the actor.

After the release of Force Awakens, the actor who plays Snoke, Andy Serkis, said this in response to the question of Snoke's identity:

“No, he’s a new character in this universe. It is very much a newly-introduced character.”

While the story completely change over the course of a few years, given how the new movies are being framed, they seem to be trying to move away from the prequel stories that made that trilogy just annoying. To add, there are just lots of things that are left ambiguous. Not to reveal later but because that is how stories just are. For example, we all speculate about who Rey's parents are when Daisy Ridley, herself, has said that she knows who they are and that Rey's parents don't have an affect on the story (that being said, I, like most, still want to know who they are).

I guess I am don't think that Snoke's being an old Star Wars character is that interesting or important. To be honest, it would almost feel too cliche. Yes, Star Wars is fundamentally rooted in history and ancestory, but having Snoke be Plagueis, Palpatine, Vader, or whoever would just be boring. Star Wars is filled with unanswered questions, which gives it its charm. It is placed in a galaxy where very complex civilizations have thrived for thousands of years, yet history is so quickly forgotten and history still feels like stories, myths, and legends than actual facts. For example, how, in a galaxy so technologically advanced, do the Jedi become a myth in the matter of a few decades? (While many of the old comics could answer this question, they are technically not canon anymore.) In the end, I would prefer that Snoke be a new entity all together. I've seen the creepy lightening Grandpa for six movies and Plagueis wasn't ever in the movies. Having a fresh start I think is a good way to go.

(By the way, what about Finn? I hear no speculation about his background. While it probably isn't too important, I am still very intrigued as to his parentage.)
  • Options
    He is probably the closest thing we will get to Aboloth. He is dark, but not sith. Able to see events over a long life, and cast out into a reagin of space that could be used as a prison. It's possible, nae likely he is able to transfer his essence from host to host. Not training ben and maybe Rey to leave a legacy, but to prepare a suitable vessel for his dark energy. Pure speculation but he I think he may believe a host that is grey and not dark will last longer and give him more power.
  • Options
    Boardride wrote: »
    When it comes to Snoke, I really don't want to be definite about his past because there is so much ambiguity surrounding it. That being said, I am fairly certain that Snoke isn't Plagueis. Not only is there a bunch of canon evidence, but also evidence coming right from the actor.

After the release of Force Awakens, the actor who plays Snoke, Andy Serkis, said this in response to the question of Snoke's identity:

“No, he’s a new character in this universe. It is very much a newly-introduced character.”

While the story completely change over the course of a few years, given how the new movies are being framed, they seem to be trying to move away from the prequel stories that made that trilogy just annoying. To add, there are just lots of things that are left ambiguous. Not to reveal later but because that is how stories just are. For example, we all speculate about who Rey's parents are when Daisy Ridley, herself, has said that she knows who they are and that Rey's parents don't have an affect on the story (that being said, I, like most, still want to know who they are).

I guess I am don't think that Snoke's being an old Star Wars character is that interesting or important. To be honest, it would almost feel too cliche. Yes, Star Wars is fundamentally rooted in history and ancestory, but having Snoke be Plagueis, Palpatine, Vader, or whoever would just be boring. Star Wars is filled with unanswered questions, which gives it its charm. It is placed in a galaxy where very complex civilizations have thrived for thousands of years, yet history is so quickly forgotten and history still feels like stories, myths, and legends than actual facts. For example, how, in a galaxy so technologically advanced, do the Jedi become a myth in the matter of a few decades? (While many of the old comics could answer this question, they are technically not canon anymore.) In the end, I would prefer that Snoke be a new entity all together. I've seen the creepy lightening Grandpa for six movies and Plagueis wasn't ever in the movies. Having a fresh start I think is a good way to go.

(By the way, what about Finn? I hear no speculation about his background. While it probably isn't too important, I am still very intrigued as to his parentage.)

i believe he is a new charachter but i do think he will use what was in the old legends canon with Tel Angor. theres a toy or playset where snoke has some kind of thing / orb in his arm rest that looks like it holds energy and if you look at the trailer with rey wile he is i assume feeding on her force energy

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_Vampire
  • The_Light_Sider
    208 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    For example, how, in a galaxy so technologically advanced, do the Jedi become a myth in the matter of a few decades?

I never really understood that... especially why Han doesn't believe in the jedi since he is with Chewbacca who met Yoda on Kashyyk
  • Options
    I can see it. A lot of what is out there, even in his world, is word of mouth or from some source that you don’t know. How do we know what to believe?

Perhaps what was said was an exaggeration, or the Jedi are tricksters who use these rumors of their mystical powers to strike fear into their enemies.

In a universe so big, it’s easy to get lost or hidden. So much so that you aren’t likely to see any sort of Jedi encounter at all. Those who do, well, they’re either captured or killed, or some power themselves. And we don’t always believe ever story told by those in power, biased as they are.
  • Options
    There was a huge Jedi Temple that was destroyed in Episode 3. Dont see how everyone would forget about that so easily. Doesnt make sense how so many people would forget about the Jedi so quickly. We still remember things about WW2.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Options
    Old cannon had Han in the imperial academy. Imperial white washing of history and educational indoctrination have a lot to do with things. Chewi could have told him and Han could have chalked it up to something akin to religious beliefs. History is always written by the Victor.
  • Options
    LordDirt wrote: »
    There was a huge Jedi Temple that was destroyed in Episode 3. Dont see how everyone would forget about that so easily. Doesnt make sense how so many people would forget about the Jedi so quickly. We still remember things about WW2.

They knew that the Jedi worshipped something. They never doubted that. What they doubted was that their powers were real
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Mark Hamil and the entire cast of Empire Strikes Back had no clue - NONE - that Vader was Luke's father until they shot that scene. Hamil was only told moments before that famous line. So forgive me if I do not take the word of Serkis on face value.

He also stated he was very much a new character - plagueis is only known from a mere story - he could still be considered a very new character once brought to life as an actual character.

I would hate Snoke to just be some random character that is powerful enough to rival Darth Sidious. It took 6 movies (not including R1) to see Sidious rise to power and control an Empire - Snoke literally just popped out of nowhere - His existence completely undermines everything that we saw as a villain in Darth Sidious.

The only way Snoke could be a worthy villain against the likes of Sidious is if the Plagueis story turns out to be true - its the only way I see it making any logical and respectful sense.

But what do I know - maybe Snoke did just pop up out of the ground like a garden Nome to rule the galaxy as easy as that and be more powerful than the most powerful being in the galaxy we have ever known of for absolutely no good reason - makes a lot of sense doesn't it?

Lastly - Once the empire took control of the galaxy, they had control of all records, media etc. - Have you ever read the book "1984"?

Who were they at war with Eastasia or Eurasia. The character was positive they were at war with Eurasia, but the media had stated they have always been at war with Eastasia and every record of the war with Eurasia was destroyed and it was then ingrained in the populace who believed they were always at war with Eastasia.

So who ever controls information also controls the past/history and can therefore have some control on the future.

(Maybe I didn't explain the whole 1984 thing - if you haven't read it, do - its an awesome book).

I am also intrigued about Finn and Poe and think it is possible they both could be force sensitive - Poe with his unbelievable piloting skills that clearly outmatch Luke or even Anakin; and Finn - the only stormtrooper to break away from the control of the First Order and raise a lightsaber to attack a well trained force user - Kylo.

Very interesting.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options

How would we remember about WW2 if Germany had won?
  • Options
    Boo wrote: »

History would still be told with books. Plus Star Wars is way more advanced and there should be many different recordings and video of the Jedi and what they did for centuries.

Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options

History would still be told with books. Plus Star Wars is way more advanced and there should be many different recordings and video of the Jedi and what they did for centuries.

Right - unless someone purges all that information and re-writes history. Seriously - read 1984 its really good and explains this well.
  • Options

Whoa, have you never heard that history is written by the victors?
  • LordDirt
    5010 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    History is written by the victors and you can try to purge all history but it will live on.

Example: Order 66 was to wipe all Jedi out and many lived.

Plus there is Kylo Ren walking around with a light saber, that wouldn't remind people of the Jedi? Plus the Resistance knows about Luke, a Jedi.
  • Options
    People called those lightsabers flame sticks. They were well known, they thought of it as technical capability rather than magical powers.
  • Options
    Light sabers are not magical. No way a whole galaxy forgets about Jedi in 40 years. Not even a generation has come and gone.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    History is written by the victors and you can try to purge all history but it will live on.

Example: Order 66 was to wipe all Jedi out and many lived.

Plus there is Kylo Ren walking around with a light saber, that wouldn't remind people of the Jedi? Plus the Resistance knows about Luke, a Jedi.

Key people in the know remember - the general public are like sheep.

A major story hits the news everyone is on the edge of their seat to figure out what happens, before long another story hits the news and everyone's attention is diverted. People quickly forget about the other, original, big story they were so eager about.

People are easily controlled by the news/media and oppression such as the Empire - or Big Brother in the book 1984. No one was allowed to remember the truth because the new truth was told to them. That is a big job to undo such falsehoods from an entire galaxy that needs to firstly remember the jedi and then rebuild trust in the jedi.

Before trust can be rebuilt towards the jedi they need to have a presence in the galaxy again - time to find appropriate force sensitives and train them to be jedi is a long process, and that is before they can begin to reveal themselves to the galaxy again. Luke's jedi academy never made it this far.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Lmao at people trying to apply consistent rules to the star wars universe. This ain’t Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings where the story is in service of the world. Star Wars was built on self contained adventures in space with likable characters. The “universe” was retroactive and only exists because of the fans.

When it comes to Star Wars, writing a thousand word essay over some throwaway line because it introduces a minor inconsistency in the canon is as pointless as pointing out the scientific flaws. Cause guess what? That ain’t the point. And if something like rigid rules in your franchise’s universe is what engages you with the story, then Star Wars probably isn’t for you.

TL;DR: In Star Wars, the world is built around the story, not the other way around
  • Hannibal_Bexus
    620 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Ender22 wrote: »
    BeWary wrote: »
    This sounded crazy at first, but the Snoke is Mace Windu theory has some merit (IMO). Here's the vid on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xBRxofNI3Y
    Snoke aint human
    Snoke aint black

Myth busted

Plus, have you heard descriptions of Munes? They look a LOT like Snoke, as disfigured as he is. Guess who is a Mune? Plagueis

I wonder if you've heard descriptions of Muuns. They look nothing like snoke.
    latest?cb=20090214195755
    Snoke-The_Force_Awakens_%282015%29.png

Snoke has a nose and ears.

Idk, maybe snoke could be human, but he definitely ain't a muun, and he definitely ain't black.

Also, in canon, we dont know what species plagueis is. Its not even clearly established whether he was palpatine's master. That was only "implied" according to fans.

Is it still canon that Plagueis was a Muun? IDK... They could change it. They did not change Thrawn's race, but, you never know.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    This sounded crazy at first, but the Snoke is Mace Windu theory has some merit (IMO). Here's the vid on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xBRxofNI3Y
    Snoke aint human
    Snoke aint black

Myth busted

Plus, have you heard descriptions of Munes? They look a LOT like Snoke, as disfigured as he is. Guess who is a Mune? Plagueis

latest?cb=20090214195755

Idk, maybe snoke could be human, but he definitely ain't a muun, and he definitely ain't black.

Also, in canon, we dont know what species plagueis is. Its not even clearly established whether he was palpatine's master. That was only "implied" according to fans.

Is it still canon that Plagueis was a Muun? IDK... They could change it. They did not change Thrawn's race, but, you never know.

Plagueis’ species is not established in canon. But my main point is that there aren’t really any valid side by side comparisons between snoke and previously existing characters.

Also I did learn that Plagueis being Palpatines master is canon.
  • DemonKingBALOR
    110 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I can see it. A lot of what is out there, even in his world, is word of mouth or from some source that you don’t know. How do we know what to believe?

Perhaps what was said was an exaggeration, or the Jedi are tricksters who use these rumors of their mystical powers to strike fear into their enemies.

In a universe so big, it’s easy to get lost or hidden. So much so that you aren’t likely to see any sort of Jedi encounter at all. Those who do, well, they’re either captured or killed, or some power themselves. And we don’t always believe ever story told by those in power, biased as they are.

i thought i heard that jakku is one of those planets where the people there are closed off to such knowledge of the rebels and empire. . i forget where i hear that from but if that is the case it would make sense as to why rey would think jedi are a myth
  • Options
    Snoke aint human
    Snoke aint black

Myth busted

latest?cb=20090214195755

Plagueis’ species is not established in canon. But my main point is that there aren’t really any valid side by side comparisons between snoke and previously existing characters.

Right, I knew that Plagueis being Sidious's master is canon. However, I thought it was only stated that Plagueis was a Muun in the novels which are now Ledgends. Thats what I wasn't sure about. As much as I'd like it to be Snoke = Plagueis, I still think it's a stretch. There is a theory that states Sidious knew of Snoke and sent the remnants of the Empire to the outer rim to find him and rebuild.
    If so, Snoke cannot be Plagueis.
  • Options
    Snoke aint human
    Snoke aint black

Myth busted

latest?cb=20090214195755

Right, I knew that Plagueis being Sidious's master is canon. However, I thought it was only stated that Plagueis was a Muun in the novels which are now Ledgends. Thats what I wasn't sure about. As much as I'd like it to be Snoke = Plagueis, I still think it's a stretch. There is a theory that states Sidious knew of Snoke and sent the remnants of the Empire to the outer rim to find him and rebuild.
    If so, Snoke cannot be Plagueis.

That’s not rumor. It’s in one of the books. Sidisious senses a great dark power in the deep space outside of the outer rim and sent ship after ship, trying to map his way through the volatile space towards the presence.

Unconfirmed, but Thrawn May have helped him do that. Unconnected as of yet, but I think so.

But this doesn’t prove Snoke cannot be Plagueis. The distance is immense. Such a connection isn’t made easily, and the power of Snoke cannot be the only reason he sensed him. Jedi have a stronger connection to those that they have been around, the longer the time the stronger the connection. To me, this really makes a stronger case that this is Plagueis, his former master, whom he’d be able to sense from so far away
  • Options
    Rey's staff has been in the forefront too much and she still has it in Episode 8. It has to be something important.
    f2mbr7xzvpoo12qlf6ty.jpg
  • Options
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • Options

Right - unless someone purges all that information and re-writes history. Seriously - read 1984 its really good and explains this well.

As well as 1984, Animal Farm explains this also
  • Options
    maxresdefault.jpg

She's the daughter of Maul and Mace?!?