Who is Snoke?

Replies

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Boo wrote: »
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Lmao at people trying to apply consistent rules to the star wars universe. This ain’t Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings where the story is in service of the world. Star Wars was built on self contained adventures in space with likable characters. The “universe” was retroactive and only exists because of the fans.

When it comes to Star Wars, writing a thousand word essay over some throwaway line because it introduces a minor inconsistency in the canon is as pointless as pointing out the scientific flaws. Cause guess what? That ain’t the point. And if something like rigid rules in your franchise’s universe is what engages you with the story, then Star Wars probably isn’t for you.

TL;DR: In Star Wars, the world is built around the story, not the other way around

This is true to some extent.

But the story and lore of the star wars universe has created rules.

What is the point and purpose of the prophecy of the chosen one and how powerful Anakin was - if Rey can come along without reason and destroy the loved story from fans which are episodes 1-6, completely disregarding Anakin and Vader's power of the force through Rey.

Also same can be said for Snoke (if he is not Plagueis or has some other logical and credible backstory) if he just pops out of nowhere and rivals Sidious as a villain - a long established villain from EPs 1-6 including R1.

These instances must be explained or Disney risks the future of this franchise they bought for billions of dollars by disregarding the lore and rules of the galaxy followed by the fans - its bad business and could potentially destroy the franchise.

They have already discredited the EU - much to a lot of fan upset. Personally I didn't care for the EU. It was cheap stories Lucas signed off on so he didn't have to make more movies - it was an easy cash grab and a lot of the EU was utter nonsense. But these precedents and rules I am talking about are set in the movies - which are unchangeable and not easily discredited as the EU was. Disney changing that as well as abandoning the EU could destroy the fan base of the franchise in a way that is not repairable.

This makes no sense considering the effort Disney has made to specifically appease fans while creating a new generation of fans.

Lord of the Rings as well as Game of Thrones are based on books and have to at least roughly follow those books. Star Wars is based on a script and can change, but at the risk of destroying a franchise by upsetting long-standing fans where certain precedents of the galactic star wars lore and rules have already been set.

As admirable as your position is, i believe you have some fundamental misconceptions about public audiences, Lucasfilm/Disney’s goals, and the film industry.

Disney/Lucasfilm’s intended audience is everyone. They will produce a film that appeals to the largest common denominator, not to the portion of hard core fans who enjoy the prequels or the EU for the rules and lore they establish. Despite what you hear on star wars forums, most people dont like the prequels. If you dont believe me, look at both audience and critic reviews (i know ratings like rotten tomatoes and metacritic aren’t always the best indicator of quality, but they effectively aggregate piblic response to a film). For the majority of audiences, TFA was a return to the Star Wars they remember, and in that respect, LF/D accomplished their goal.
    Ender22 wrote: »
    Most likely someone other than Plagueis for one sole reason, money. If they used Plagueis, every dollar that they make would have to be shared with the writer of that book and to Lucas. They could outright pay for sole rights to the character, but it would be Much cheaper, to create a new character. And MUCH more profitable to write their own Snoke spin off stories that would go in whatever direction they want.

Snoke won’t be Plagueis, cuz Disney/Money, but really, In a perfect world, Snoke should be Plagueis

But didnt Lucas come up with the character for ep 3?

U have got to stop a lot Of people liked and still like the prequels. Retreading the ot like the did was not to get away from them but more likely to bridge the gap to trying to go to the future. Also every movie made intended audience is everybody they don't spend that money for nothing. I hope this movie is great as for snoke identity from the trailer of snoke appearing to suck the life out of rey I guessing my ex wife. Hope u guys enjoy the movie and will be checking out the forum to see what u guy thought. It all love datboi I'm going to win u over to the prequels love yet

These forums have convinced me that there are indeed people who like the prequels. But my point is that the people who frequent these forums are not general audiences. This is a very niche audience, and not one that will make Lucasfilm billions of dollars.
  • Options
    Snoke won't be Plagueis because
    Sidious believed in the rule of two. If he didn't kill his master, he would have never been dark lord of the sith and would not have taken an apprentice. He would have made sure his old master was dead before moving on.
  • Options
    Plaugeis could have seemed dead but have survive. Sidious believed Maul was dead at one point.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    Teague wrote: »
    Teague wrote: »
    Snoke won't be Plaugus because half the theater would be scratching their head, wondering who that is and why they should care. Disney isn't dumb enough to have Snoke be a tie in to an insignificant backstory mentioned very briefly once in ep.3, just as fan service for the hardcore fans. It's not logical, nor profitable. Snoke needs to be something the casual fan understands without needing a Google search. Snoke will simply be Snoke.

My personal favorite theory is that he is simply a failed student of Luke. Very powerful, turned to the dark side and later returned to recruit/turn Ben.

That is the most ridiculous theory I have ever heard.

Snoke being just Snoke - would completely undermine the villain that was Darth Sidious - its just kills his character as a villain and his power if Snoke just pops out of the ground like a garden nome - no one knows who snoke is at all. At least people would know who Plagueis is.

But at the end of the day you are likely right - Disney I don't think are clever enough to bridge that gap making snoke be plagueis which is the most logical choice.

How does he undermine Sidious? Did Bane undermine Joker in Dark Knight Rises just because he has no tie to him? No, he was simply the next villain. That's how it works. A tie in to Sidious honestly just seems desperate to me. Why must he relate to him in any way?

Bane was tied to the league of assassins introduced in previous batman movies. Besides batman villains are their own thing - star wars is based on certain rules re: power in the force and no one should have more raw power than the chosen One - Anakin or by extension his descendants - Luke, Leia, Kylo - and possibly Rey.

Sidious grew his power and hold over the galaxy - Darth Maul explains that he was once apprenticed to the most powerful being in the galaxy.

Even Yoda met his match facing the dark lord. He gained power over the galaxy in 1 movie then reigned over the galaxy for the next 6 movies and his downfall was linked to a prophecy of the force!

Snoke just pops out of the ground like a mole to take his place - NO, this is wrong.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Many instances where people lie about something in a movie to not give away the story. Believe what you will.

Yep - who was Khan again - he never made an appearance in the Star Trek reboot did he? Abrams said so multiple times that Benedict Cumberbatch was not Khan in Star Trek: Into Darkness.

But he was.

Hidalalgo said Snoke was "very much a new character" - Plagueis, although mentioned in ROTS, would still very much be a new character if he were snoke.

This post may go on for a long time, as I have heard that TLJ will continue to keep Snoke's origins a secret - I hope not.
  • Options
    Lol. Snoke is snoke. His identity is not part of a reveal, or twist. His past will not be revealed in the Last Jedi, nor episode 9. Much in the same way Palpatine had no origin , reveal, hidden identity twist for the original trilogy. 22 years later we got the prequels with Palpatine's story. I hope this thread doesn't last 22 years.
    Two Time Golden Poo Award Winner
  • Options
    underwater adventurer and inventor of the snorkel
  • Options
    Snoke is the "Supreme Leader" of the First Order. Duh.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Lol. Snoke is snoke. His identity is not part of a reveal, or twist. His past will not be revealed in the Last Jedi, nor episode 9. Much in the same way Palpatine had no origin , reveal, hidden identity twist for the original trilogy. 22 years later we got the prequels with Palpatine's story. I hope this thread doesn't last 22 years.

It might, lol

Or perhaps Snoke has no big reveal because he himself is a puppet. Is Luke actually the leader of the FO and the Knights of Ren?

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/star-wars/feature/a839363/snoke-last-jedi-villain/

He could be like Kreia/Darth Traya in KOTOR 2

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Traya
  • Options
    lol
    CnurNS4WgAAwZ6J.jpg:large
  • Options
    lol
    Sucks he confirmed the new trilogy won't be about the old republic. I woulda paid $100 to see a KOTOR themed feature film with quality writing directing funding etc
  • Options
    lol
    Sucks he confirmed the new trilogy won't be about the old republic. I woulda paid $100 to see a KOTOR themed feature film with quality writing directing funding etc

I would like to see KOTOR as a TV series.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    Hec if Disney turns around in 2 years and wants to make KOTOR movies then that is exactly what they will do, despite what anyone else thinks or says now.
  • Options
    Snoke as a puppet aka Wizard of Oz? Possible but then who is the puppeteer?
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • Options
    Hec if Disney turns around in 2 years and wants to make KOTOR movies then that is exactly what they will do, despite what anyone else thinks or says now.

Disney does have plans for a new trilogy. Stating it will be apart from the Skywalker series. KOTOR would be awesome
  • Options

Disney does have plans for a new trilogy. Stating it will be apart from the Skywalker series. KOTOR would be awesome

With Zach Galifanakas as the voice of HK47, Josh Brolin as Canderous, Angelina Jolie as Bastila, Idris Elba as Jolee Bindo, Gal Godot as Juhani and starring Matt Damon as Revan.

(Pauses for a moment, realizes he's given Disney an idea...a horrible one)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    APX_919 wrote: »

With Zach Galifanakas as the voice of HK47, Josh Brolin as Canderous, Angelina Jolie as Bastila, Idris Elba as Jolee Bindo, Gal Godot as Juhani and starring Matt Damon as Revan.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hahaha, and Bruce Willis as Malak
  • Options

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hahaha, and Bruce Willis as Malak

Taylor Lautner as Darth Bandon. Kristen Stewart as Mission Vao. Mark Wahlberg and Donnie Wahlberg as Zaalbaar and Chundaar. Andy Serkis as every CGI creature and the voice of T3M4. And Ed Asner as "Vrook"
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I thought people hated TFA because it didnt tell an original story
  • Options

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Poor Mission, she always gets forgotten :D
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    Snoke as a puppet aka Wizard of Oz? Possible but then who is the puppeteer?

Luke?
  • Options
    Johus wrote: »
    It's Anakin Skywalker's Dad.

Wow. That is a good suggestion. But I thought qgj was his dad. I mean qgj was desperate to take litttle Annie to Jedi training. I am sure qgj did some shamalamadoobly with Shmi behind the hut and boom Annie was born.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    Johus wrote: »
    It's Anakin Skywalker's Dad.

Wow. That is a good suggestion. But I thought qgj was his dad. I mean qgj was desperate to take litttle Annie to Jedi training. I am sure qgj did some shamalamadoobly with Shmi behind the hut and boom Annie was born.

QGJ had never met Shmi before.

I think Shmi had immoral workings with the huts and was ashamed to say to QGJ that she simply did not know who Ani's father was from the many possibilities so lied.

Anyone could be Anakin's father by that.
  • FierceRevan
    1315 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Welll snoke's
    he isn't a Sith , according to new encyclopedia. https://imgur.com/a/ZUrrN
    been outed
  • Options
    it has already been said they are not Sith for years now
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    Ya - even the plagueis theory does not state he is sith, because he couldn't be if he left the Sith Order.

Just like Ahsoka left the Jedi and is no longer Jedi - Plagueis could have left the Sith (faking his death) to find more power in the force rather than just darkside - but light as well. Therefore he left the sith and had to take a new name different than his anointed sith name and darth title: Darth Plagueis.

The question is in this theory is, if all of the above were true, then what is his new name???...Snoke?

• Options
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    Cool - but it still does not counter the theory. If Plagueis is not sith anymore and not plagueis and is now snoke - he is just darkness - not sith.

So the sith did die out with Vader & Sidious - not disputing that either. The article does not say anything that we did not already know. He remains still an utter mystery.
  • FierceRevan
    1315 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The article does not say anything that we did not already know.
    Ok, good lol I thought you were trolling but it was hard to tell.
    @Boo

Yeah we totally already knew about Luke throwing the light saber off the cliff, Leias exposure to space, her medical coma, Rey's mirror cave, that Luke doesn't use the force anymore, uses his crashed x-wing as a door to his hut, that Kylo shoots the hangar but chickens out and a different pilot shoots the command bridge of the Raddus. Or that DJ stands for Don't Join etc

Enjoy the plageius trolling
    Post edited by FierceRevan on
  • Options
    wonder about those new purpleguys, multidimensional calculations? oculus viewing scope?