Need a little newbie help here

Replies

• amaze122 wrote: »
    @CoastalJames I sent you a message, and I will take you up on your kind offer as soon as this Raid is over.

I've just given admin the heads up mate and they're expecting you.

Don't worry about leaving your guild immediately. We run raids almost constantly (and they don't take 4 days lol) so you'll not be missing out.

• @CoastalJames, It is just that the entire time that I have been there I have been the top earner. Even now the second highest contributor stands at 646; my score is 748, with a Raid score so far of 65,499, with of course 600 Raid tickets, which I have consistently done daily since I have been there.

In other words, I want to get my spoils from this Raid before I go; I feel I have earned them...
  • Choice is yours mate. But that's some seriously meagre ****.

Your mind is going to be blown when you get into a real Guild lol :wink:
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    amaze122 wrote: »
    @CoastalJames, It is just that the entire time that I have been there I have been the top earner. Even now the second highest contributor stands at 646; my score is 748, with a Raid score so far of 65,499, with of course 600 Raid tickets, which I have consistently done daily since I have been there.

In other words, I want to get my spoils from this Raid before I go; I feel I have earned them...

If James has a guild you can do two raids while you are waiting for your first guild to finish one and give you your rewards you are better off in James's guild. The phrase sunk cost fallcay applies.

No one raid has a massive reward but they stack up from doing a raid every two days much better.
  • Naraic wrote: »
    If James has a guild you can do two raids while you are waiting for your first guild to finish one and give you your rewards you are better off in James's guild. The phrase sunk cost fallcay applies.

Thank, kinda what I've ben trying to say but put better than I was thinking.

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    When I get to the Arena now, all I see are smirking Lando's and Hera's and all I Get is a Wall of Pain, complete with, in Hera's case this odd additional purple health bar over her team.

The purple bar is called protection. You have to deplete a character's protection first before you can start depleting his health (in most cases, there are a couple of exceptions to that). Every character gets protection starting at gear level 7. You can also get protection on a character earlier with mods, but only those that give a flat number as a protection secondary -- the percent ones won't do anything because it's just multiplying the percent times the natural protection which is 0. Phoenix Squadron also has abilities that give increased protection ("protection up").
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Liath thank you for that info, very helpful (no wonder I mistook you for a Moderator). I have several characters though in gear level seven, and I have no protection, (Also, I have no purple bars), as evinced by the horrible beatings I have received in the Arena lately.

My chances have improved drastically since I started using a "leader" in my fights, but my earlier optimism was short-lived; there are so many Very high-level characters lurking in the Arena now! I even finally saw a Vader; why would a Darth Vader be trolling the Arena at level #64? I actually could say the same about Hera and Calrissian, but Vader?

I am so intrigued by these "mods"; I cannot wait to get to that level. I am level 46 presently and climbing fast. B)

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Mods unlock at level 50, so you will be there soon. Are you saying arena rank 64, or is the guy with Vader level 64? Vader isn't actually that great of a character (it's a source of a lot of complaining around here!), but he is farmable from the fleet store once you unlock that (I believe at level 60) in addition to the achievements.

Do you mind sharing your ally code? I will add you as an ally if you like to give you some more heroes to borrow, and it will make it easier for me to look at your roster. If you have characters at gear 7 they should have some protection (not very much until you get higher in gear level). But most characters require level 53 to get to gear 7 and you aren't there yet.
  • Liath I would Love to have you as an ally but my roster is surprisingly, full! There was a time when I was begging for allies, then one morning I woke up and I had notifications that allies were being turned away. I went to clear out the "expireds", and found that there weren't any- I really did have 50 allies!

I meant Arena squad level #64, at the time, I was #66. They always put you up against opponents a level or so below you; to give you a better chance at victory I suppose, though I am sure that Hera and Lando would disagree... :)

But in case a spot opens up, my ally code is 378-155-313
  • Hey, I just went and looked and apparently during the night someone jumped ship (maybe someone from my present Guild who saw my comments here, LoL) In any event, there is one spot open so send your invite!
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Ok. I sent you an invite, but I won't be offended if you don't want to clear out space for me. :) If you do want to, you can always remove some of the weaker ones.

Looking at your roster, you don't have any Gear 7 characters - they would show up with a purple ring around them instead of blue or green. Your highest are Gear 6, so that's why you don't have any protection yet.

Just for clarity of discussion, we generally refer to that arena number as rank. So you would say you were facing rank 64. Also, in case you weren't aware, you can get more choices of who to fight than the three it initially shows you - if you hit the little circle with the arrows next to where it says "matches" it will refresh the options and might give you teams you would rather try. In the 60s you should be able to jump ~10 spots in one fight.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    You must be looking at someone else's roster. My first 6 characters are Gear 7, my next two are Gear 6, My next two Gear 5, and then Gear 4 on down. Now one thing, the detail screen shows the words Gear VII in purple, but that is the only purple that I've seen, none during the battles...

Edit: I just added you; Thanks
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Id say your gear screen shows gear level vi 》》》 gear level viii ie that you have gear level vi and are working on level vii
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Have you looked at my gear screens, Naraic? Dooku, Tarkin, Jedi Consular, Kylo Ren, Royal Guard, and Talia are all Gear 7. Apparently, you can't tell by the rings, which as Liath says are blue, but you can Definitely see it when you go to the detail screen for each character; the words Gear Vii are deep purple.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Oh wait, I think that I see what you are talking about now, Naraic...

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Yeah, the current gear level is the one on the left. In any event, at the next gear level Dooku et al will have protection.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Yeah that is a confusing way to show it, like we don't know that 7 comes after 6, duh, LoL

By the way, is Mace Windu a good character?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    No. He has a capital ship that some people like, but as a character he is quite mediocre.
  • I am perusing the Squad Arena Tokens section and quite frankly nobody stands out...
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    If there's nobody you specifically want, you might as well work on Stormtrooper Han and Leia because eventually you will need them to get Commander Luke. You could also start working on your Phoenix to get Thrawn.
  • Thank you for the suggestion. By Phoenix what Toons are you suggesting specifically?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Phoenix is a faction that has 6 members, and you will need 5 of them for Thrawn (and for territory battles and other things eventually). I leave out Sabine. Some people really like her, but she is the hardest to farm. You can use the faction drop down menu in your character list to see them, but the other characters are Hera (the leader), Zeb, Kanan, Ezra, and Chopper.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Okay got it. Hmmn.... I think I am beginning to realize that info in chunks is easier to digest and retain than a huge amount all at once...

Edit: By the way, I've already got Chopper, sitting on the bench somewhere (he is just not very powerful, you know), so that's done.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Okay got it. Hmmn.... I think I am beginning to realize that info in chunks is easier to digest and retain than a huge amount all at once...

Edit: By the way, I've already got Chopper, sitting on the bench somewhere (he is just not very powerful, you know), so that's done.

You need him at 5 stars for thrawn, 7 stars if you want a 7 star thrawn. Anyway the Phoenix characters are not very powerful unless you face 5 of them under a hera lead and they get to share their unique abilities with each other.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Not powerful huh, sounds like playing to win instead of fun; should'a seen that comin' I guess :'(

Edit: By the way that Chopper character is the weakest least inspiring character that I have played in this game..
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Not powerful huh, sounds like playing to win instead of fun; should'a seen that comin' I guess :'(

Edit: By the way that Chopper character is the weakest least inspiring character that I have played in this game..

Or ,chopper is one the characters that's fits a squad well and doesn't fit outside that squad.

Very easy to do when hera lets everyone share unique abilities. Ezra makes everyone stronger, Kanan gives everyone counter attack Zeb gives everyone protection and protection recovery and chopper gives everyone health recovery.

If they can do that together and still be useful on their own they would be a very amazing squad.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Chopper can be very useful in the right team at high levels, and he grants the Phoenix team a good amount of survivability. He is not somebody that you can just throw into any team and expect to shine.

There are a lot of things in this game that require farming specific characters or factions to be able to do. It's up to you which ones you care about and want to bother going after, but it's worth knowing what's out there and what it requires. You might not find Chopper or even Phoenix as a whole fun, but you might find Thrawn really fun (he's a very powerful character). It's all about focusing on your priorities.
  • Anyone lookings for a guild hit me up. We need active players.

Can complete heroic rancor raid
  • crzydroid
    7233 posts Moderator
    Welcome to the game!

First, has anyone pointed you to the site, swgoh.gg yet? It is very useful, and can show you the gear characters will need ahead of time, as well as let you compare the stats characters will have a max level. You can even create an account to sync your roster for tracking.

There's a LOT to digest in this game, so just give it a little time. One thing you need to learn about is buffs and debuffs, which are the red and green icons that can appear above a character. It can be a lot to keep straight. There are guides on the forums and online that will list what each one does, but you can also long tap on one in the game and a tiny description will pop up. I don't know how that will work on an emulator...whether you long click or just hover.

Stay focused. Make a gameplan and try to stick with it, and don't spread yourself thin over too many characters at once. A lot of new content may open up for you that seems to be pulling you in all directions, but you will have time to build everything up. You have to pick and choose where you will focus first. Buckle in for the long haul...in the beginning, farming s character for a week to unlock seems like a long time, but some characters may take months to get 7*. A lot of players have been on since game launch two years ago. I've been playing about 16 months. Puts some things in perspective.

To clarify arena, when you beat someone, you swap ranks with them. Likewise, you can be knocked back quite a bit. So if you see someone you think is stronger down where you are, they may have been knocked down because teams are always better on offense than defense, since the computer doesn't play as well as a person. Your arena is made up of people who started around the same time as you...but they may have a head start of a few days, they may spend more money, they may have read more of the guides in the beginning and gotten into a good guild, etc. You might also see players who "rerolled" a new account to get a better starting rank and also have the advantage of more experience. Since better rank gets better rewards, the rich can get richer real fast in the beginning. But if you are in top 100 before level 50, that's a decent place to start out in.

So to reiterate what others have said, get a new guild! I spent much too long in a low level guild hoping it would get better before switching. If you have a question, you can search the forums, and if you don't find an answer, don't be afraid to ask!
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Thank you, Naraic, and @Liath, well, I have to admit I have seen Thrawn in action, I've "borrowed" him a couple times and he was Awesome.

So I guess he is worth it; I will deal with the little useless "handful of rocks slinging" Chopper to get him into the fold. :)

What I have been wasting All of my energy on for the last three times that it has regenerated: Trying to increase the gear level of certain beloved characters, but they All seem to require an MK-VIII, which is Only obtainable by winning battle number 5-H, on the Light Side Battles Holotable.

I have tried this battle more than Eight Times, "borrowing" some Amazing characters, but I cannot win without losing Someone, and you have to beat the battle with your team Completely intact to earn three stars.

As Charlie Brown would say "Augghh!"

The problem is that I love the Dark Side and so have spent all of my resources up until now building Them into superheroes, (My Jedi Consular is a Gear level VII; for Real, this time, heheh) and Totally disregarding the "Light Team".

You learn from your mistakes, I am Not going to win that battle until I update my Light Side characters, so I am done beating my head against that wall, and on to biting the bullet and taking away precious resources that I had allocated for my Dark Side team and using them instead for my Light Side guys. :'(