Grand Arena Championships MEGATHREAD

Replies

• garath
    2 posts Member
    Options
    Well i was sick of perpetual grand arena and its broken match making, couldn't have imagined that they could dig further the already too deep well of annoyance... an unexpectedly well done job in this matter i must confess !
  • TVF
    36618 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    garath wrote: »
    Well i was sick of perpetual grand arena and its broken match making, couldn't have imagined that they could dig further the already too deep well of annoyance... an unexpectedly well done job in this matter i must confess !

I don't understand these complaints. A league system like this means that as the people that beat you move up, you will face more people like yourself. You should be welcoming this feature.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ultra
    11515 posts Moderator
    edited May 2019
    Options
    We’ll find out soon enough

Crumb is going to go more in-depth on GP Divisions, Leaderboards and Rewards in the coming days

the implication that there is a problem with the current matchmaking is debatable but this isn’t the place for it
  • TVF
    36618 posts Member
    Options
    Question regarding timing.

In the Road Ahead it was stated that the next title update, including both GAC and new TB, would be live within "the next three months," which puts it no later than July 10 based on the RA posting date of April 10. Does this mean that we can expect both events to start this month? And is there anything you can share on the overall cadence of monthly events given the new events (and the fact that GAC will take a minimum of 5 weeks, possibly longer depending on cooldown)?
  • Options
    For me personally GA doesn’t work. I’ve got a gp earnt through having many toons at reasonable levels, but non that are outstanding. This means I’m always pitted against players with the latest toughest squads so victory is never an option. This is a major flaw. Players in my guild regularly win or come in the top 3 with much lower gp, but more concentrated effort on fewer toons. I think a better balance needs to be found....otherwise the Championship version will be just as lacking in reward for players like me.
  • TVF
    36618 posts Member
    Options
    For me personally GA doesn’t work. I’ve got a gp earnt through having many toons at reasonable levels, but non that are outstanding. This means I’m always pitted against players with the latest toughest squads so victory is never an option. This is a major flaw. Players in my guild regularly win or come in the top 3 with much lower gp, but more concentrated effort on fewer toons. I think a better balance needs to be found....otherwise the Championship version will be just as lacking in reward for players like me.

The championship version will eventually match you against other players that are in the same boat, so you should be looking forward to this.
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

The championship version will eventually match you against other players that are in the same boat, so you should be looking forward to this.

The problem is they've moved towards pvp and so PVE oriented players with "bloated" rosters will never get top rewards. If they would institute a horde mode for PvE where you need a broad roster of decent teams to reach the end, it might balance the game for the PvE crowd and people can decide where they want to get their rewards from, PvE or PvP, as you cant do well in both until you reach 4-4.5M GP.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    As one of the most ANTI GA people here I would like to say this could be an epic improvement.

I am now looking forward to GA and may not hate it anymore.....

Still loathe current GA lol
  • Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    Anew_Hope wrote: »
    What I dont like about GA is that I always seem to have the 3rd or 4th best roster of the 8 I am matched with and 90% of the time I end up playing the 1st and 2nd best rostered opponents, so I regularly get 1 win and then 2 close losses because I'm outscored by try hards who get 10 points more then me or I get a bad RNG and lose because I dont mirror their 1 battle full clear. Dont get me wrong I'm happy for the try hards to get their rewards (assuming they were not doing illegal mod switching) but I end up in 6 or 7th place when i could easily have beaten the guy who got 4th and probably the guy who got 3rd.

May I suggest, that you try harder next time, then? If your opponent won because he tried harder than you, he deserves the higher rank more than you.

I think you missed the whole point of my post, like I said above I am happy to be beaten by some one who tries harder, but if the pool of players has 3 people I cant usually beat and 4 people I can, and i always face 2 of the 3 hard opponents and 1 of the 4 easy ones so that I finish with 1 win, I end up in probably 6th spot and some one I can easily beat gets in the 2-4th place rewards, that person did not try harder then me they just had easier matches... If i understand this new mode, getting tough matches and losing out in one round so that you dont progress to a higher tier will mean that we can blow through the next round as stronger squads would have moved up and I think we play only against our own tier? that should allow us over the whole 5 week event to find our real level and not be be bound by frustrating matchups week after week.
  • Options
    This is truly exciting and thrilling, but please also provide a bracket for intra-guild bragging rights because we all know one another and it makes the fighting and roster building that much more fun!
  • Options
    They could greatly simplify things if they just give everyone a prize box based on the amount of money they have spent on the game this year. The end results would be exactly the same.

Of course they won't. That wouldn't give the big spenders the illusion that they are actually 'the best' at something.
  • Ultra
    11515 posts Moderator
    Options
    They could greatly simplify things if they just give everyone a prize box based on the amount of money they have spent on the game this year. The end results would be exactly the same.

Of course they won't. That wouldn't give the big spenders the illusion that they are actually 'the best' at something.
    Money can’t buy you victory
  • TVF
    36618 posts Member
    Options
    Ultra wrote: »

Money can’t buy you victory

It can actually, or else people wouldn't do it.

But just because it can doesn't mean it did.
  • TVF
    36618 posts Member
    Options

There would be some correlation but it's just sour grapes to claim spending is the only variable.
  • Options
    Daishi wrote: »

The problem is they've moved towards pvp and so PVE oriented players with "bloated" rosters will never get top rewards. If they would institute a horde mode for PvE where you need a broad roster of decent teams to reach the end, it might balance the game for the PvE crowd and people can decide where they want to get their rewards from, PvE or PvP, as you cant do well in both until you reach 4-4.5M GP.

Did you even read what he said to you?
    Championships should help your 'pve crowd' to basically be matched up with eachother in the matchmaking system
  • Dagobond
    134 posts Member
    Options
    Daishi wrote: »

I agree completely. Many of the members in my guild are not into the PvP at all. It is unbalanced and matchmaking is very poorly done (the details of why have been described by many). PvE events are becoming an increasingly small part of this game which is a huge deviation from the earlier design where Galactic Battles, Raids and Territory Battles were the largest part of gameplay.

So I guess CG wants those of us who prefer PvE to quit? I've definitely seen the ridiculous focus on GA over the last few months drive some of these PvE players away. Focusing even more on this garbage content which is poorly balanced and just not fun seems certain to hasten that exodus.

• TVF
    36618 posts Member
    Options
    Dagobond wrote: »
    So I guess CG wants those of us who prefer PvE to quit? I've definitely seen the ridiculous focus on GA over the last few months drive some of these PvE players away. Focusing even more on this garbage content which is poorly balanced and just not fun seems certain to hasten that exodus.

You mean the focus on PvP where they give us a new TB?
  • TVF
    36618 posts Member
    Options
    Leytuhas wrote: »
    evoluza wrote: »
    This looks like the worst parts of all matchmaking thrown together. Reminder to EA/CG that rehashing a game mode is not new content. From my perspective this was wasted effort on your part.

Not really. They finally realize that we a competitive playing field. It's your problem, if you don't understand what competition means for a game.

The playing field is unchanged.

It's completely changed after the first matches are done and people start moving into higher leagues.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    PVE:
    * character / ship farming
    * gear farming
    * raids
    * TBs
    * Legendaries / heroes
    * other recurring events (Mythics, Assault Battles, Galactic Bounties etc)
    * daily challenges

PVP:
    * character / fleet arenas
    * TW
    * GA
  • TVF
    36618 posts Member
    Options
    This looks like the worst parts of all matchmaking thrown together. Reminder to EA/CG that rehashing a game mode is not new content. From my perspective this was wasted effort on your part.

Not really. They finally realize that we a competitive playing field. It's your problem, if you don't understand what competition means for a game.

It's completely changed after the first matches are done and people start moving into higher leagues.

It really isn't. I'll just be playing another GA, against a different player. This whole thing is just a veneer over the top of single player TW.

You understand that people who beat you will move up and you'll be playing people that also got beat, right?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

It really isn't. I'll just be playing another GA, against a different player. This whole thing is just a veneer over the top of single player TW.

You understand that people who beat you will move up and you'll be playing people that also got beat, right?

That's exactly how GA works today in the 8 person matchups. The only difference is that they added leagues on the top to "progress". It's a veneer.

Your complaint was about matchmaking. The matchmaking is different. The fact that the game mode itself is not different is irrelevant to your complaint about matchmaking.
  • TVF
    36618 posts Member
    Options

That's exactly how GA works today in the 8 person matchups. The only difference is that they added leagues on the top to "progress". It's a veneer.

The difference is the significantly larger player pool.
  • hunchew
    70 posts Member
    Options
    To all of you who say that GA is a whale arena... you have no idea how to play.
    I have 2 accounts (a 4.5M GP and a 900K... that's right 900K). I have fun in GA in both
    accounts and I don't see this changing that at all. Will I lose move often with the new format?
    Probably, since the competition is supposed to get tougher as I progress through the levels. But
    that's what is challenging. And I will still win my share. How high can you climb?

If anything this is more like a true global arena. Yes there are still questions about match-making, but
    I really don't see a 2 M account that has Revan, DR, Malak to be able to face a 4 or 5 M accounts mainly
    because there is huge difference in the number of teams and mods available.
    So, there will probably still be GP brackets, but just because you can claim #1 in arena every day doesn't
    mean you will rise to the top tier in your GP bracket.
  • Options
    Hopefully the rewards are a nice, semi-linear increase and not a horribly exponential increase. I understand that better rosters should get better rewards, but it would feel a little unbalanced to, say, only have the "winners" of the Kyber league get decent chances for rewards while even the rest of the Kyber league is left with garbage (note: I have no illusion that I'll be in Kyber league or even close).
  • Options
    @CG_SBCrumb for many of us, grand arena is the best game mode by far, most fun and good rewards for effort.

If this is going to replace regular ga, then i hope the rewards at the bottom tier will be at least as good as now, so for those who wont progress it will at least be as rewarding as now and still be worth playing week by week.

Ive come to rely on the rewards every week, they are greatly needed, so really hoping for at least as good
  • Angelloyd
    365 posts Member
    Options
    The more I read this the more I notice that this community can't have good things. Some people will complain about anything like **** no matter what it is just because they want to complain.