Thoughts on the tournament! (Merged Threads)

Replies

• Options
    Go into GW, click redeem.

Sorry sir but you are incorrect. GW tokens are used to acquire ally points.

Spend 400 GW tokens for 6000 ally points
    800 GW tokens for 12,000 ally points
    1200 GW tokens for 18,000 ally points

Not the other way around
  • Aplus
    138 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Fitz wrote: »
    Aplus wrote: »
    Alright I will try and explain why I think waiting is not a good idea.

First off, true sinking down the ranks will give you a larger buffer zone between the frontmost whales and the normal casual players. As a result, you will have the advantage of facing weaker players and easier scores. However, do bear in mind that while you are waiting, other players are playing. ESPECIALLY the whales and some hoardinng players. In the end, if you and they contribute the same amount of ally points but you waited, which means that you will have a score difference during time you did not spend coins playing. If you argued that you had spent as much as the top players, just that you postponed your time playing, e.g you spent 50000 ally points in the last hour vs them spending 50000 over the span of 10 hours, it makes no difference. You will end up on the top anyways(presuming you two win as much) this strrategy WORKS if the tournament is only ONE DAY, NO REFRESH. But over the course of three days, it doesnt really matter.

Second, the iddiotic scoreboard only allows you to view 50 players range. You might have waited thinking you can catch up, but who knows how much the top players in your shard spent? You planned to spend 100k and get 7000 score, hey they got 200k and got 10000 score. So how would you catch up? The unpredictability is what kills off the strategy as well.

The best thing to do is to go all the way up to 50thish and use MIXED squad, especially when you meet weaker squads of 60-70 levels, just crush them with your backup squad, mix in a overpowered toon like EP or Rex lead, and let them carry your weaker toons that have no chance against the top 80s, thus lowering your cost. Then stay there, go to bed, wake up, refresh, and keep 50thish. Then finally, before it ends, rush ALL THE WAY up to 1-3rd.

Now that I explained what I think is a legit strategy, I have to proclaim here that I did not use such tactics, since I hoarded quite an amount of ally points and tokens that I am confident to stay at the Top, thus I am sitting comfortably at 3rd place right now. Agree or not, you can just try it out. Good luck.

The problem with what you are saying is that its all based on the idea that you are already in a tournament server from the beginning. That was not the case last time. As best we can tell you are placed in a server when you go in, and set up your defense, and see your opponents.

Once a server fills up new ones are added. So if you skip the first day of the tournament and start day two you are likely being put in a server with others who didn't even try day one. Basically you are grouped in with slackers and people who barely play. This exploit last time allowed some to do WAY better than they should have. He is asking now that its more well know if this is still a good strategy, or will everyone be trying to do it. And the answer to that is... it's a **** shoot. Who knows how many will try to do that, and if you'll get stuck on a server with a bunch of whales who had the same idea.

And nothing was done to alleviate that kind of thing. The shard for the tournament should be created and filled up based on when a player started playing. This way it is fair and similar to what's happening with actual game shards.

It is based on when you start playing. You can't play in the tournament until your defense is set up. So the theory is don't play until the last day.
    Doesn't that mean you will miss out on the roster refreshes?
  • Options
    Yep, it's hell to get old.
  • ShatterlingPurslane
    493 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
  • Options
    I was wrong, the refresh button is still there.

The multi-attack restriction only makes it so that is it of limited benefit for two players to work together. But 20-30 players doing it are laughing all the way.

The whole point of the defense team lock is that you cannot gimp yourself to help a buddy.... YOU STILL CAN!.
  • Options
    These tournaments are gonna be around for awhile. This may be shoretrooper's last appearance in it before they put him in chromiums or cantina nodes but we'll see other rogue one characters in there for us to farm

I predict tie fighter pilot next :)
  • Lugo
    417 posts Member
    Options
    But can you still remove mods from your def team so peepa can piggy back off a unmodded team befor putting the mods back on?
  • Options
    Last 3 events were whale centric. If ships cater to whales it's gonna be sad.
    This entire game is about Whales......no money generated by f2p players.
  • ripthestage
    153 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Post edited by ripthestage on
  • Options
    Spikemaul wrote: »
    Last 3 events were whale centric. If ships cater to whales it's gonna be sad.
    This entire game is about Whales......no money generated by f2p players.

Not true! Who do you think the whales battle? Each other? LOL that would take skill, and planning. Easier to face underpowered teams, and then boast about it at the club.
  • Options

First off, true sinking down the ranks will give you a larger buffer zone between the frontmost whales and the normal casual players. As a result, you will have the advantage of facing weaker players and easier scores. However, do bear in mind that while you are waiting, other players are playing. ESPECIALLY the whales and some hoardinng players. In the end, if you and they contribute the same amount of ally points but you waited, which means that you will have a score difference during time you did not spend coins playing. If you argued that you had spent as much as the top players, just that you postponed your time playing, e.g you spent 50000 ally points in the last hour vs them spending 50000 over the span of 10 hours, it makes no difference. You will end up on the top anyways(presuming you two win as much) this strrategy WORKS if the tournament is only ONE DAY, NO REFRESH. But over the course of three days, it doesnt really matter.

Second, the iddiotic scoreboard only allows you to view 50 players range. You might have waited thinking you can catch up, but who knows how much the top players in your shard spent? You planned to spend 100k and get 7000 score, hey they got 200k and got 10000 score. So how would you catch up? The unpredictability is what kills off the strategy as well.

The best thing to do is to go all the way up to 50thish and use MIXED squad, especially when you meet weaker squads of 60-70 levels, just crush them with your backup squad, mix in a overpowered toon like EP or Rex lead, and let them carry your weaker toons that have no chance against the top 80s, thus lowering your cost. Then stay there, go to bed, wake up, refresh, and keep 50thish. Then finally, before it ends, rush ALL THE WAY up to 1-3rd.

Now that I explained what I think is a legit strategy, I have to proclaim here that I did not use such tactics, since I hoarded quite an amount of ally points and tokens that I am confident to stay at the Top, thus I am sitting comfortably at 3rd place right now. Agree or not, you can just try it out. Good luck.

The problem with what you are saying is that its all based on the idea that you are already in a tournament server from the beginning. That was not the case last time. As best we can tell you are placed in a server when you go in, and set up your defense, and see your opponents.

Once a server fills up new ones are added. So if you skip the first day of the tournament and start day two you are likely being put in a server with others who didn't even try day one. Basically you are grouped in with slackers and people who barely play. This exploit last time allowed some to do WAY better than they should have. He is asking now that its more well know if this is still a good strategy, or will everyone be trying to do it. And the answer to that is... it's a **** shoot. Who knows how many will try to do that, and if you'll get stuck on a server with a bunch of whales who had the same idea.

And nothing was done to alleviate that kind of thing. The shard for the tournament should be created and filled up based on when a player started playing. This way it is fair and similar to what's happening with actual game shards.

It is based on when you start playing. You can't play in the tournament until your defense is set up. So the theory is don't play until the last day.

Yes. But you will be put in with others who also missed them. You are on equal footing. So the first time around people intentionally stayed out until the last day, then battled like crazy. They were put on servers with others who also just started the tournament that day, but mostly because they barely play.

This time around though if others try the same thing it may backfire.

• Options
    *sheds solitary tear
  • Sacull_Kinslayer
    797 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    *sheds a single man tear...
  • Options
    As being said, what is the point for those who already had shoretroopers in the last tournament, now they play again in this tournament and try to ruin the game/rank for those who didn't own shoretroopers last tournamen!!
  • Options
    Did you guys not read the announcements or something?

You can't swap your defense characters (which doesn't answer the original poster talking about mods, that's a possibility for sure) and when you fight someone it remives them from your pool of opponents so you can't just farm the same person or find a partner and 69 for points.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    I use all my emeralds everyday.
  • Options
    The difference between lazy and pragmatic is in the eye of the beholder.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • StarSon
    7472 posts Member
    Options
    Vice_torn wrote: »

The multi-attack restriction only makes it so that is it of limited benefit for two players to work together. But 20-30 players doing it are laughing all the way.

The whole point of the defense team lock is that you cannot gimp yourself to help a buddy.... YOU STILL CAN!.

It would take much more than 30 people for it to make a difference, honestly. If you can't beat 30 teams with your arena team... well, that's on you, I guess.
  • Options
    Vice_torn wrote: »

You realize that everyone else on your tournament shard would also be able to attack all those people once as well, correct? It's not an advantage if everyone can do it.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    In the in game announcement it said the shoretrooper tournament was here for IT'S final appearance. Ergo next time it will be the gorgeous female lead, rebel droid, blind guy with a stick, or Mon mothma et cetera era tournament.
  • Options
    BLUF: please allow a reset of our defensive team after 24 hours.
    Sometimes, our arena team is not the best for this tourney. Secondly, sometimes mistakes are made when setting a team.
    A 24 hour reset allows us to adjust for the bracket we are in.
    I understand people will cry exploit and collusion will be possible. Guess what, cheaters will always find a way.
    Please consider this request.
  • Options

Yes. But you will be put in with others who also missed them. You are on equal footing. So the first time around people intentionally stayed out until the last day, then battled like crazy. They were put on servers with others who also just started the tournament that day, but mostly because they barely play.

This time around though if others try the same thing it may backfire.

agreed, but not a high percentage of the players are actually on the forums, so I'll assume most people won't think of this.

Either way, it's a gamble

But people doing probably wouldn't finish high anyways so it's worth a shot

• Options
    Playing in the squad arena, my last toon ahsoka no protection full health vs qgj full health 20% protection... we just pounced each other of course qgj was no match for ahsokas health steal, while I was playing I was thinking how much fun this was one on one winner takes all wish had some kind of one on one mode or two on two or something like that just good toons beating the crap outta one another... maybe some kind of round Robin how many toons can ur best toon take out?? Someone important read this!!!
  • StarSon
    7472 posts Member
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    Should be a lot better next time but by then the whales already have him to 7* anyway and give the second tier people a good shot.
    I hate to break it to you, but this is the final time, the tournament will appear. There is no next time.
    These tournaments are gonna be around for awhile. This may be shoretrooper's last appearance in it before they put him in chromiums or cantina nodes but we'll see other rogue one characters in there for us to farm
    Svatlas wrote: »
    It´s the last tournament with Shoretrooper but the tournament comes back.
    In the in game announcement it said the shoretrooper tournament was here for IT'S final appearance. Ergo next time it will be the gorgeous female lead, rebel droid, blind guy with a stick, or Mon mothma et cetera era tournament.

While the original post did specify this would be the Shoretrooper's final appearance, it has since been edited to say simply second appearance:
    The Shoretrooper Squad Tournament is returning for its second appearance! We recently made some changes to the ways that tournaments function, including the way Ally Points are now used to refresh your characters.
  • Tannjam
    420 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Careful what you wish for: Click this Video
  • Sacull_Kinslayer
    797 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Maybe in August of never.

High health steal, counters, and/or stuns would own said tourney. Unless a Rey 1 shots everything.. Ahsoka, lum, daka, anakin... Cody would own that tourney.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Svatlas wrote: »
    It´s the last tournament with Shoretrooper but the tournament comes back.

Ah, ok. Thanx for clarifying.
  • Options
    Tannjam wrote: »
    Careful what you wish for: Click this Video

Maybe not let the same two toons fight, lol
  • Options
    What would be hilarious is if they add Shoretrooper to GW Shipments post-tournament. Definitely won't happen, but it'd be hilarious. The outcry would be huge.
  • Options
    Title.