Royal Guard viable in pvp now?

Replies

• Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Telaan wrote: »
    All that defense up and taunt will be delicious for QGJ to get the team offense up. I can't wait. I hope people run him.

You read my mind on this one. Everyone seems to think this instant taunt is some sort of automatic game-winner. All I could think was, "okay, move Jinn out of the leader slot, use DPS guys to get someone down to 50% just before Jinn's turn, BOOM".
    I think some folks are in for a rude surprise.

If QGJ is not leader because of RG, I think he already has paid his worth
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Triqui wrote: »
    Telaan wrote: »
    All that defense up and taunt will be delicious for QGJ to get the team offense up. I can't wait. I hope people run him.

You read my mind on this one. Everyone seems to think this instant taunt is some sort of automatic game-winner. All I could think was, "okay, move Jinn out of the leader slot, use DPS guys to get someone down to 50% just before Jinn's turn, BOOM".
    I think some folks are in for a rude surprise.

If QGJ is not leader because of RG, I think he already has paid his worth

To be honest, I'm getting disillusioned with Jinn-led teams anyway. I think that is going to turn out to be a very short-lived meta. Nobody seems to have much trouble with mine. (Granted that I am not maxed out, but I don't think that matters too much.)
    How good RG is will depend entirely on how he is implemented and the synergies that people come up with. At any rate, mine is only 3* and therefore probably pretty useless, so once again it will only be whales that get to really see what he can do.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Just posted a thread I didn't even see his one. RG will be a game changer for ranks 51 and below. Everyone on my board are running the same 4 cookie cutter characters. If you don't have RG your going to be attacked often.
  • Options
    I'm curious how, if he is indeed effective, how he will affect my leaderboard. I'm F2P. And consistently place between 5 and 25, and I'm only level 67, been playing since just after Christmas. When they introduced the "view the other squad" update, some new faces jumped up to top 50, so it's been more challenging. But not a lot of spenders it seems. (Trademark has the top spot right now with one of his accounts so there's at least one).
    You guys had a riot? On account o' me? My very own riot?
  • Options
    Am I the only one that got a rando RG shard in the middle of GW today? Then I pulled him from bronzium for 7 more.
  • Options
    Something else to consider, since the taunt is a passive, am I correct in assuming it can't be ability blocked?
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Options
    RG with Vader and misc aoe toons would be fun if they let dots kill again
  • Options
    Shall we get ahead of the curve and talk about counter strategies for our royal highness?

Still thinking along of the lines of aoe to attack around taunt. The first obvious strategy is to replace Poe with RG and tag team with the usual GS, leia and FO pilot. Thoughts?
  • Destroyer
    33 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Simda wrote: »
    Shall we get ahead of the curve and talk about counter strategies for our royal highness?

Still thinking along of the lines of aoe to attack around taunt. The first obvious strategy is to replace Poe with RG and tag team with the usual GS, leia and FO pilot. Thoughts?

I have never faced RG in arena before, but i think i will try my tactics for poe towards him.

First round.
    If they shoot first, i will clean their best attacker with GS special
    Same target. if i shoot first.

Second round
    My Poggle use his special, giving more firepower to anyone and speed for the droids.
    Their Poggle will do the same
    their Poe will taunt

Third round
    88 will yellowed their toons (including Poe) while heal himself (it will clean their best attacker if he survived GS special in the first round)
    86 will clean Poe with his special (assist)

Fourth round and more
    Depend on who's left there, since they usually have 3 yellowed toons while i still have 4-5 yellowed toons

I hope this works for RG too.
  • Options
    Royal highness may not even work all together because he is not as fast Poe to protect anyone.

He of course does not have the all powerful turn meter control
  • Options
    If the presented numbers on SWCantina become true, he ll have 33k HP and will be necessary to stay on top of arena.
    I m glad somehow that this cool looking toon is interesting now ...
    Started yesterday to farm him on hard nodes
  • Zekex
    474 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Simda wrote: »
    Royal highness may not even work all together because he is not as fast Poe to protect anyone.

He of course does not have the all powerful turn meter control

The new royal guard after the update(update is not out yet though) taunts out of turn. If an assisted attack doesn't crit/assisting ally is weak/main attack or assisting attack is dodged, the enemy would be at <50% hp and RG would automatically taunt without using a turn.This can be done multiple times
  • Options
    I am not a fan of this change. They might have gone overboard with this one :/
  • Options
    Royal Guard at least gets an improvement. I like him, and I like the fact the amount of decent squad arena toons is increasing.
    However, they should stop buffing and nerfing toons (if they are not totally OP/UP) I like the case of having different tiers of characters:

Ugnaught last spot
    JC as a weaker version of Luminara
    5555 > RG

also GS should remain a stronger character.

• Options
    Just going through scenarios, I'm in the camp of not being a fan of this change. Imagine teams with like 88, Poggle, Daka, and RG....thrown in any 5th...let's say GS. What are you going to focus down on? With Daka in there and the rez potential, you generally have to FF on her...but that's not easy to take her all the way to death before RG procs his taunt and saves her. I think you can kill 88 easily without procing the taunt of RG, but then you probably can't kill Daka in rd 1...so she will try to rez 88. 88 will rez and blow your face off. I think it's going to create some miserable RNG defense slot combinations that's going to make it feel a lot like Poe where you weren't countering at a hard rate and the outcome was heavily influenced by RNG. Not sure it will be as bad - probably not, but I do think this helps take us toward a Poe-like situation where the game goes back to pivoting around one toon and most tactics hinge off of that skill.
  • Options
    Just going through scenarios, I'm in the camp of not being a fan of this change. Imagine teams with like 88, Poggle, Daka, and RG....thrown in any 5th...let's say GS. What are you going to focus down on? With Daka in there and the rez potential, you generally have to FF on her...but that's not easy to take her all the way to death before RG procs his taunt and saves her. I think you can kill 88 easily without procing the taunt of RG, but then you probably can't kill Daka in rd 1...so she will try to rez 88. 88 will rez and blow your face off. I think it's going to create some miserable RNG defense slot combinations that's going to make it feel a lot like Poe where you weren't countering at a hard rate and the outcome was heavily influenced by RNG. Not sure it will be as bad - probably not, but I do think this helps take us toward a Poe-like situation where the game goes back to pivoting around one toon and most tactics hinge off of that skill.

It doesn't work that way. It is rather easy to circumvent RG taunt. You can run QGJ+Geo and use Geo's assist to kill off someone and proc RG's taunt and then dispel it with QGJ.

My favorite is just using Ani to put buff immunity on RG and then plough my way through them.
  • Zekex
    474 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

It doesn't work that way. It is rather easy to circumvent RG taunt. You can run QGJ+Geo and use Geo's assist to kill off someone and proc RG's taunt and then dispel it with QGJ.

My favorite is just using Ani to put buff immunity on RG and then plough my way through them.

That means you're not running QGJ leader, for QGJ to go after GS. Rey, GS, QGJ leader etc will all go before your qgj increasing the likelihood that AI's atrocious targetting actually kills someone/disables someone.The point of making a strong team is to increase the probability of a successful defence and reduce the probability of an attack failing. Not using QGJ as leader goes against that philosophy. and what if your QGJ dies before his turn? You are increasing the probability of it happening by not running him as leader. What if there was a character QGJ could have killed if he was leader but now that the character is alive, it takes its turn and kills someone important on your team?You're leaving your fate to the AI.Every advantage, no matter how small, should be taken to increase the chances of victory.

We never count anything as a solution if it has only a 40% chance to work, and that's before factoring tenacity/dodge.

The ability to proc taunt multiple times means there will be situations where your taunt remover is on cd when taunt is activated again. RG doesn't spend a turn taunting, It's automatic

The ability to give a character a new lease of life shouldn't be underestimated. Even if it's just for one turn.The damage output might be too much when combined with others.
  • Options

Totally agree. I don't understand the rationale for such a massive buff (including the stun on basic). This goes against their rationale for adjusting Mace where they wanted to be careful not to go too far.

DefinitivePoeCounter is right that a team with GS + QGJ (non-lead) will be able to handle it on offense, but the team JohnnySteelAlpha mentions will be an offensive juggernaut against the AI and will also hold well on defense
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Plasmaj wrote: »
    Totally agree. I don't understand the rationale for such a massive buff (including the stun on basic). This goes against their rationale for adjusting Mace where they wanted to be careful not to go too far.
    IKR? They give Mace, an iconic character, a little tickle of a buff.. and then give yet another no-name an incredibly powerful ability that kicks in for free when not even his turn?
    If it were only possible once or had a reasonable cooldown it would be fine. If it is infinite and has no cooldown it is likely broken. I'm assuming they tested this... right?
    The game balancing decisions in this game are extremely odd.

• Options
    IKR? They give Mace, an iconic character, a little tickle of a buff.. and then give yet another no-name an incredibly powerful ability that kicks in for free when not even his turn?
    If it were only possible once or had a reasonable cooldown it would be fine. If it is infinite and has no cooldown it is likely broken. I'm assuming they tested this... right?

The guy in a red dress > Mace Windu

• Options
    SpeedWeed wrote: »

The guy in a red dress > Mace Windu

Noname in reeeeeeeeed.......is laaaauuuughing at me.
  • Options
    Zekex wrote: »

That means you're not running QGJ leader, for QGJ to go after GS. Rey, GS, QGJ leader etc will all go before your qgj increasing the likelihood that AI's atrocious targetting actually kills someone/disables someone.The point of making a strong team is to increase the probability of a successful defence and reduce the probability of an attack failing. Not using QGJ as leader goes against that philosophy. and what if your QGJ dies before his turn? You are increasing the probability of it happening by not running him as leader. What if there was a character QGJ could have killed if he was leader but now that the character is alive, it takes its turn and kills someone important on your team?You're leaving your fate to the AI.Every advantage, no matter how small, should be taken to increase the chances of victory.

We never count anything as a solution if it has only a 40% chance to work, and that's before factoring tenacity/dodge.

The ability to proc taunt multiple times means there will be situations where your taunt remover is on cd when taunt is activated again. RG doesn't spend a turn taunting, It's automatic

The ability to give a character a new lease of life shouldn't be underestimated. Even if it's just for one turn.The damage output might be too much when combined with others.

You can't base your single target DPS team to perform well in defense. For all intents and purposes they might focus on the slowest character and perform horribly. The only 'viable' defense team right now is AoE, but it is foiled by Poe and will be foiled later by RG since the characters don't use their AoEs when there is an active taunt.
  • Options

"characters don't use their AoEs when there is an active taunt."

Crazy. It seems like the AI is designed to intentionally try to throw the match . Kind of like when healers use their heal despite the only injured party having a healing immunity applied.
  • Options
    Royal Guard requires purple gear in 3 slots just to go from VI to VII. I can only imagine the brutality of gearing him up further.

I think I might just wait and see how this change works out before doing anything. :/
  • SpeedWeed
    504 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    BentWookie wrote: »
    Royal Guard requires purple gear in 3 slots just to go from VI to VII. I can only imagine the brutality of gearing him up further.

I think I might just wait and see how this change works out before doing anything. :/

Ouch.

Really makes life hard for the newer players who are still working on their main toons.

Like me. :/
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options

The more I think on this, the more unhappy with this change I become.

I love Anakin. I run him on my team now. But his healing/buff immunity is very unreliable. It's only got a 40% proc rate and is subject to being resisted. RG appears as if it will have decent tenacity so that makes it even more unreliable.

Dispelling the taunt is only a temporary fix since as soon as you get another toon below 50% health it'll proc again.

This should never have been allowed to get past the idea part of a discussion. The guaranteed taunt should only work for empire toons with a % chance on non-empire toons. I'm with @JohnnySteelAlpha on this.

@CG_JohnSalera any chance we could have a discussion of the logic behind all this?
  • Options

Ouch.

Really makes life hard for the newer players who are still working on their main toons.

Yeah, there is a risk/reward scenario here, better to just keep focus,( possibly save gear.) You might really need it for something else they throw at us.

• Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It's possible this has some limit to how often it can activate or some other restriction that didn't make it to the release notes. I guess we'll see. Not going to overreact before we even see what he can do, though we have been here before. Remember before the level 70 cap increase? "Surely they can see that giving Poe 143 speed will make him broken and fix that when the cap goes up."
    There's something very odd going on when players find serious issues that QA doesn't.. sometimes even before the patch goes live.
  • SpeedWeed
    504 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Ouch.

Yeah, there is a risk/reward scenario here, better to just keep focus,( possibly save gear.) You might really need it for something else they throw at us.

@BentWookie

I must finish QGJ Daka Dooku first

Waiting to see what is the new cantina toon before I decide to farm ren.

It will be a month and a half before I am done with Dooku daka

Another 2 to farm n unlock yoda 7*.

I got mace to 80 shards n daka at 70. Wishing for a lucky bronzium pull.

Must resist temptation to lvl n gear too many toons at the same time
  • Options
    RG is going to be tough an auto taunt plus a stun on basic taking a character out the game? That's huge.