Royal Guard viable in pvp now?

Replies

• Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    Telaan wrote: »
    Ok I went against it again his team is qgj, leia, rg, yoda, rey. Rg has 5468 power, team fully decked total power of 27846. Out of 3 matches I won 2, however, the one loss was due to a bit of bad luck.

What did you do to work around the taunt?

Simple, qgj. Now I will say if your team doesn't dish out enough damage, I can see rg being a real problem. If you can't dish out enough damage where you're constantly not finishing enemy toons, rg will taunt every single time. You gotta take them out in 2 hits per toon.

That's what I figured the work around would be.
  • wikking4u
    60 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have RG at 2*, so getting it to 4* seems realistic within a few weeks. With 4* he would have 16790 hp, so quite high and since DMG of this guy doesn't matter at all, it would still be very good.

• reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    yeah, i've got a 4* rg from bronzium unlocks and shards...he's only used in the int challenge so i might gear him up and try him out in arena...but he's got zero synergy with my lineup haha
    mighty chlorians
  • Song
    863 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Song wrote: »
    First time i saw someone with a 7* Red guard in arena.

7* Sid(Lead), QGJ, FOTP, Red Guard, GS

Im going try to attack him after the reset tonight.

Let us know how it goes

@Krann_Lister picture worth thousand words.. POE is still way more danger than Red Guard.

mmkeQnN.png
    5on47nc.png
    tNDYSXE.png
  • Options
    Barrok wrote: »
    Loving RG. A more fair Poe. Brings back defense again... these few weeks without defense has been really frustrating!

It's good to have defensive options.
    We have attack DPS options. Now Taunting and HP options. I really like Poe, but recently, he can be defeated without much strategy. Such a shame. Poe is a nice hero. But I really feel a nice Defense squad would make things interesting!
  • Options

Let us know how it goes

@Krann_Lister picture worth thousand words.. POE is still way more danger than Red Guard.

mmkeQnN.png
    5on47nc.png
    tNDYSXE.png

And what s your point? I can put up many free to play team that would literally destroy yours. Nobody said RG was an I win button... And is team will destroy yours on offense.
  • Options
    Spartamaj wrote: »

Let us know how it goes

mmkeQnN.png
    5on47nc.png
    tNDYSXE.png

And what s your point? I can put up many free to play team that would literally destroy yours. Nobody said RG was an I win button... And is team will destroy yours on offense.

Actually, many have said RG is an OP META character.
    IGN: Malmsteen's Comet
  • Options
    I'm assuming RG new stats aren't in yet??
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    HamZolo wrote: »
    Of course it makes perfect sense. RG does not have any shipments so you can only farm him slowly via two energy nodes. Now that he's very desirable they are banking on lots of chromium and crystal refresh purchases for those in a hurry to get him.

Don't forget that they're practically spiting those of us who had a bit of backbone and didn't purchase the recent pack featuring him. "Some players had the gall to be dissatisfied with this useful and reasonably-priced pack we graced them with? Let's see how they like this, then!".

Realistically, it's not like that at all. It just feels like a very poorly timed design decision to only release a major buff for this character after we had been focused on just how disappointing the character is when it was showcased as a paid option. It's up to debate whether they would be able to easily pick up on the character's need for adjustment before that happened, but it certainly doesn't make it feel better in retrospect.

Well, people were dead wrong back in January. So there's that. The general consensus was that ERG and Snowtrooper both **** and were bad deals for paying players. This was never the truth.

ERG, even before the update, was a defensive machine. I semi maxed it and used in an Empire team and it was extremely useful.

People love to talk. And the more other people also talk, the more entitled they feel to their opinion. That's how mass psychology works. There was a time when everybody thought Poe was bad and Phasma was the bee's knees. Then somebody went ahead and formulated a strategy that worked, and suddenly the bad was good.

Tl;dr - people in general don't have a clue about what's good or bad. They just jump on what everybody else does.
  • Options
    Poe was the perfect example of that. People turned that into whose Poe goes first by the herd mentality. Poe was beatable a number of ways plus time would have done it as well. It makes me sad.
    ☮ Consular ☮ Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. -Ben Kenobi
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Nonemo wrote: »
    Well, people were dead wrong back in January. So there's that. The general consensus was that ERG and Snowtrooper both **** and were bad deals for paying players. This was never the truth.
    Based on the information available at the time, that pack was a bad deal as offered. There was never any reason to expect that CG would randomly decide to mega-buff one of the characters.
    I have literally never seen Snowtrooper or RG in either arena or GW since I was low-level back in December.
    You are correct that people tend to be lemmings, but it doesn't really apply in this case. Even if you thought RG was useful, that pack was still a bad deal.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Based on the information available at the time, that pack was a bad deal as offered. There was never any reason to expect that CG would randomly decide to mega-buff one of the characters.
    I have literally never seen Snowtrooper or RG in either arena or GW since I was low-level back in December.
    You are correct that people tend to be lemmings, but it doesn't really apply in this case. Even if you thought RG was useful, that pack was still a bad deal.

It would only have been a bad deal if the toons in it weren't worth it. I think the toons are very decent, and definitely not to be written off as "bad". Snowtrooper needs Empire synergy to work well, granted. Other more anonymous toons like FOTP and GS aren't as reliant on synergies to work well. They're more versatile. But it doesn't mean that they're the best. I already suggested that I considered RG to be a powerful toon even before this change.
  • Options
    Do you guys think, this new RG would be viable in the classic droid team?

I mean, my PVP team is HK, IGs, Poggle and Lumi atm. Would you swap 7* full geared Lumi for a 4* Full Geared RG? I am ~top 50 and nearly always get to cast Lumi's heal.

I have RG 4*, almost 5*, but low level and low geared, should I throw my resources on him?

I've read that his taunt would be negative vs QGJ teams, but I already have Poggles buff to be debuffed so...

@Qeltar I would appreciate your personal opinion :smile:
  • Options
    Dumb question: does RG taunt "interrupt" assist attacks?
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It would only have been a bad deal if the toons in it weren't worth it. I think the toons are very decent, and definitely not to be written off as "bad". Snowtrooper needs Empire synergy to work well, granted. Other more anonymous toons like FOTP and GS aren't as reliant on synergies to work well. They're more versatile. But it doesn't mean that they're the best. I already suggested that I considered RG to be a powerful toon even before this change.

Fair enough, but understand that you were an outlier in that regard. As you said, when something is good, it gets copied. I know of people who tried to use the old RG and found him ineffective. Sometimes the crowd are lemmings, but sometimes they are following something for a reason.
    Of course anything can be buffed/nerfed at any time, with or without notice. People can only decide based on the information available at the time. And at the time, $18 was a bad deal for those characters.
    Bear in mind that you are a whale (I think, apologies if not) so $18 has a different meaning to you than someone who is F2P or spends maybe $10 a month.
    @Rumba - Sorry, no idea. I'm trying to figure out if he's worth putting credits and training droids into myself.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    @Qeltar Thanks anyway pal.

I'm opening a new thread to figure out wether this guy is now viable. Sorry for the spam!
  • Options
    I also really liked ERG before the change. He was part of my GW B team. He's level 70 7 star gear 6.8.

My only complaint is that I got a little over excited last night and put him in my arena team to see what he's like now. Apparently EVERYONE ELSE WAS CURIOUS ALSO! I fell 2 reward tiers overnight. :-P
  • Options
    Oh, and the two battles I tried with him, I lost. :-P He's fun and can certainly have an effect, but I predict he goes back to relative obscurity once the shininess wears off.
  • Options
    HamZolo wrote: »
    Of course it makes perfect sense. RG does not have any shipments so you can only farm him slowly via two energy nodes. Now that he's very desirable they are banking on lots of chromium and crystal refresh purchases for those in a hurry to get him.

Don't forget that they're practically spiting those of us who had a bit of backbone and didn't purchase the recent pack featuring him. "Some players had the gall to be dissatisfied with this useful and reasonably-priced pack we graced them with? Let's see how they like this, then!".

Realistically, it's not like that at all. It just feels like a very poorly timed design decision to only release a major buff for this character after we had been focused on just how disappointing the character is when it was showcased as a paid option. It's up to debate whether they would be able to easily pick up on the character's need for adjustment before that happened, but it certainly doesn't make it feel better in retrospect.

CG certainly is doing the right think of making tanks part of the strategy. Poe was ninja nerfed and assasinated, and ither tanks buffed. If we knew we'd have made different choices. They are very immature sigh

• Options
    Geddre wrote: »
    Oh, and the two battles I tried with him, I lost. :-P He's fun and can certainly have an effect, but I predict he goes back to relative obscurity once the shininess wears off.

Paper, Rock, Scissors. Any char that uses an effect is a BAD char because they enemy can SEE your deck before picking his cards. Like playing pocker and seeing you enemy cards and letting you choose your hand, Arena is now a pointless grind to get Arena tockens.

So, chars with no effects and high soeed and high damage are the best...It's not counterable and it can't backfire. They may bring a good counter but no trivial "QGJ free ally buff for everyone" or the sorts.

• Options
    Does anyone know if RGs taunt can trigger more than once in a battle? For instance, if he taunts than qgj removes it; the next time anyone else goes under 50% HP will RG taunt again?
  • Options
    I honestly have absolutely NO IDEA what was going through their minds when they did this.
    What happened to "small changes", "slow and steady", "don't want to overreact"?
    How could they barely tickle Mace and turn this no-name support character into a must-have on nearly any team?

Remember that scene when teen anakin walked into Viceroy's command room and collapsed 2 RG by waving his hand?
  • Options
    I honestly have absolutely NO IDEA what was going through their minds when they did this.
    How could they barely tickle Mace and turn this no-name support character into a must-have on nearly any team?

@Qeltar...

Do you realize most of the comments and posts you do are incredibly toxic? Straight up false facts you just make out of thin air or overreacting about something you don't even know. I thought you had enough with what you did with your nerf-crusade against Poe that mined the forums for weeks.

First: seems you either don't have RG or you haven't even fighted against him. Your speculations are always based on turning the tide on your personal rooster favor - No, you don't do this for the good of the game, you do it for your own good.

Second: if you ever had encounter an RG team, you'd know by now it's not even as threatening as a Poe team. Yes, Poe is still better nerfed than a brand new RG buffed who doesn't do anything for the rest of the team besides his taunt and who is easily killed even maxed.
    Yep, he is slow, and he doesn't last despite having a ton of health. He will be dead before he can pull of 1 attack in the current meta - if you are using a good team.

Third: I'm lucky to have a 7* RG properly geared so yes, I can tell you about facts as opposed as you. And after many tests I can tell you I'll never ever replace my Poe for RG.
    In this Speed/Damage meta you are enjoying (now that Poe is not much of a threat to your team anymore) RG is not as good for the team as a nerfed Poe.

Hopefully you start thinking about your attitude in this Forum, because you are proving to be a very unreliable poster who don't hesitate to write exaggerated statements made out of thin air.
    Actually I think it's actually you who has "absolutely NO IDEA" and every day you prove me right.

Have a nice day, sir.

• Options
    AKK889 wrote: »

@Qeltar...

Do you realize most of the comments and posts you do are incredibly toxic? Straight up false facts you just make out of thin air or overreacting about something you don't even know. I thought you had enough with what you did with your nerf-crusade against Poe that mined the forums for weeks.

First: seems you either don't have RG or you haven't even fighted against him. Your speculations are always based on turning the tide on your personal rooster favor - No, you don't do this for the good of the game, you do it for your own good.

Second: if you ever had encounter an RG team, you'd know by now it's not even as threatening as a Poe team. Yes, Poe is still better nerfed than a brand new RG buffed who doesn't do anything for the rest of the team besides his taunt and who is easily killed even maxed.
    Yep, he is slow, and he doesn't last despite having a ton of health. He will be dead before he can pull of 1 attack in the current meta - if you are using a good team.

Third: I'm lucky to have a 7* RG properly geared so yes, I can tell you about facts as opposed as you. And after many tests I can tell you I'll never ever replace my Poe for RG.
    In this Speed/Damage meta you are enjoying (now that Poe is not much of a threat to your team anymore) RG is not as good for the team as a nerfed Poe.

Hopefully you start thinking about your attitude in this Forum, because you are proving to be a very unreliable poster who don't hesitate to write exaggerated statements made out of thin air.
    Actually I think it's actually you who has "absolutely NO IDEA" and every day you prove me right.

Have a nice day, sir.

I battled my first RG enemy and it was hilarious. I had no chance at all. A big advantage of him against poe you'll see in QGJ lead teams with GS. If poe is called for assist.. meh. If RG -> stun. If rey or fotp -> dead toon.

I don't see how to beat this team as a f2p:
    QGJ, yoda, rey, RG, GS

Maybe with Doku once I have him at 7*
  • Options
    wikking4u wrote: »

I battled my first RG enemy and it was hilarious. I had no chance at all. A big advantage of him against poe you'll see in QGJ lead teams with GS. If poe is called for assist.. meh. If RG -> stun. If rey or fotp -> dead toon.

I don't see how to beat this team as a f2p:
    QGJ, yoda, rey, RG, GS

It is not so difficult indeed. Killed a similar squad today easily. It is an advantage that toons who call an assist both attack the same toon. So 86, GS, QGJ are a good option. Next to Poggle buffed AOEs ...
    RG is not spectacular atm but will be in endgame, i m sure. So there is no need to hurry to get em
  • Options
    Current line up has been holding strong and only lost one battle since yesterday:

QGJ (lead)
    Lumi
    GS
    Dooku
    RG

I just 6 starred Rey so she will be somehow squeezed in to this group, maybe for Lumi, but I hate giving up heals.

RG is the new Poe. Stuns are in!

Somebody needs to make a Phasma, Kylo, Dooku, Daka and RG squad.
    Team iNstinct -- teaminstinct.net
  • Options
    DV_27 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if RGs taunt can trigger more than once in a battle? For instance, if he taunts than qgj removes it; the next time anyone else goes under 50% HP will RG taunt again?

Yes, he does more than once.
    Mestre Fábio - My YouTube Channel - My SwGOH profile - Brazilian player? Come to play with us, AAT heroic, contact me
  • Options
    Hahahaha, thanks for changing the thread's title mods. (I feel acknowledged) :tongue:
    It's a shame the thick layer of sarcasm was reduced in the process, but still top notch banter.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Options
    Harmonica wrote: »
    Current line up has been holding strong and only lost one battle since yesterday:

QGJ (lead)
    Lumi
    GS
    Dooku
    RG

I just 6 starred Rey so she will be somehow squeezed in to this group, maybe for Lumi, but I hate giving up heals.

RG is the new Poe. Stuns are in!

Somebody needs to make a Phasma, Kylo, Dooku, Daka and RG squad.

I had a similar team and when I got my Rey and realized how much burst damage she does, I replaced Dooku with her and never looked back. She is really strong and even better when assisting QGJ because then she often has Foresight up for her attack. The only problem seems to come if I get a bunch of dodges and the AI focus fires Rey, then she's a goner because of her HP. But her assisting your QGJ and GS would be pretty awesome I bet.
  • Options
    So much banter back and forth...RG may be better now but Im not going to take my focus off my current characters that I think are still better then RG