Royal Guard viable in pvp now?

Replies

• Options
    People going nuts and we haven't seen him in action yet. There are still a TON of unanswered questions. We don't know if the taunt has an internal cool down, so multiple taunts are not a given. If he is ability blocked, will his taunt still proc?

And I find it amusing that people if RG becomes a more viable toon, then people are complaining that you can't have QGJ in lead position. I personally think that's better than the alternative, which is EVERYONE having QGJ in the lead position if he's leadership ability stays the same once we can level to 80.

But I will say I agree that it is odd, yet again, to give a no-name a decent-looking buff while named toons get little. We couldn't these same buffs on Mace? Really?
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    People going nuts and we haven't seen him in action yet.

They are not "going nuts", they are highlighting potential issues based on the information released so far. It is in everyone's interests, if there's in fact a problem, for it to be investigated and addressed as soon as possible.
    We all agree that we need to see how it actually works, but based on the specs provided, there is cause for concern. If CG had listened when top players were "going nuts" about Poe before the level 70 cap came out (I believe Team Instinct deserves credit for raising that issue first) it would have saved everyone weeks of grief.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    I like the changes. Maybe IT Will be possible to defend now. Nerf the sick IG88 instead. The combo of Poe poggle and IG88 is the most Boring thing ever. Im in an Old server and 80% of the top players use that combo.
  • Zekex
    474 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

You can't base your single target DPS team to perform well in defense. For all intents and purposes they might focus on the slowest character and perform horribly. The only 'viable' defense team right now is AoE, but it is foiled by Poe and will be foiled later by RG since the characters don't use their AoEs when there is an active taunt.

Which is why I mentioned every advantage, no matter how small matters. On offense, I prefer to dictate the match by having QGJ leader. Whenever I have to choose to attack a sid leader QGJ team or QGJ lead/sid team, I always choose the one with sid leader. Not because QGJ lead unbeatable, but because I rather have slightly better odds, no matter how small those odds are.

It gives the QGJ led team a psychological advantage,much like the old poe used to,which helps in making you look less of an attractive target to hit unless you're contesting for top spots

Having gear 9 GS and gear 8 rey helps psychologically too, since there are more opportunities to go wrong.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »

They are not "going nuts", they are highlighting potential issues based on the information released so far. It is in everyone's interests, if there's in fact a problem, for it to be investigated and addressed as soon as possible.
    We all agree that we need to see how it actually works, but based on the specs provided, there is cause for concern. If CG had listened when top players were "going nuts" about Poe before the level 70 cap came out (I believe Team Instinct deserves credit for raising that issue first) it would have saved everyone weeks of grief.

Really? Like how a lot of people overreacted on Poe, including yourself? You of all people should understand the dangers of calling for all-out nerfs when we can't see the whole picture. In Poe's case, we had no idea they would alter speed changes so dramatically.
    His changes haven't even gone live yet. We don't know how he's going to play out. I can understand people's desire to theorycraft, but calling for nerfs before his buffs have actually gone live yet? People complaining about his ability to do multiple taunts....when we don't even know if he's capable of that yet?
    Seriously, EA/CG is in a no-win situation. People complain how all they do is nerf toons, nerf toons, how about instead of nerfing all the time, they buff instead? So here they are, buffing a toon (agreed that RG is a strange choice), and what do they hear? OMG, he's too strong now!! He needs to be toned down!!
    I understand you have a passion/obsession with this game that many share, and I agree with many of your insights on other threads. Just don't be so zealous in your desires that you mistake your subjectivity for objectivity.

• Options
    I like the concept of an auto tank ability. All tanks need this or similar skills.
  • Options
    @Mizake_Mizan
    At the end of each turn, if any other ally took damage that turn, Royal Guard gains 5% Turn Meter. In addition, Royal Guard Taunts for 1 turn whenever another ally falls below 50% Health.

Unless we're using a different language, the dev notes do suggest that RG is capable of taunting multiple times, out of turn.

As for poe, there were plenty of reasons why he was nerfed. Do you see calls for ackbar to be nerfed for giving another toon 100% turn meter? He enables only one character to move first. Perfectly fine. Balanced. Poe allows 5 to go first.One character allowing 5 characters to go first is not fine, especially when he's fast.Poe was a problem that had to be fixed.

There were other suggestions by other forumers to either remove his turn meter manipulation or make it something like his expose which had a percentage chance of occurring.It's really unfortunate the devs did not explore other options and "overnerfed" poe. Anyhow, you shouldn't be directing the blame at the people who pointed out a legitimate issue. You should be directing the blame at the devs who did the nerfs to poe in the wrong way. It is not right to ask people to self-censor just because of what happened to poe, especially in a discussion forum.

There is less randomness in theorycrafting ever since the speed changes, which allows people to more accurately predict what will happen and spot potential issues before they take effect. There is nothing wrong with theorycrafting since things will more or less pan out as predicted with the knowledge of speed, damage ranges/cooldowns/hp of characters.

Please refrain from using strawman fallacies to shut the discussion down.It is unrelated, and unhelpful to the discussion.

• Options
    Just going through scenarios, I'm in the camp of not being a fan of this change. Imagine teams with like 88, Poggle, Daka, and RG....thrown in any 5th...let's say GS. What are you going to focus down on? With Daka in there and the rez potential, you generally have to FF on her...but that's not easy to take her all the way to death before RG procs his taunt and saves her. I think you can kill 88 easily without procing the taunt of RG, but then you probably can't kill Daka in rd 1...so she will try to rez 88. 88 will rez and blow your face off. I think it's going to create some miserable RNG defense slot combinations that's going to make it feel a lot like Poe where you weren't countering at a hard rate and the outcome was heavily influenced by RNG. Not sure it will be as bad - probably not, but I do think this helps take us toward a Poe-like situation where the game goes back to pivoting around one toon and most tactics hinge off of that skill.

It doesn't work that way. It is rather easy to circumvent RG taunt. You can run QGJ+Geo and use Geo's assist to kill off someone and proc RG's taunt and then dispel it with QGJ.

My favorite is just using Ani to put buff immunity on RG and then plough my way through them.

You just played in to the rez team's hands though. that killed off toon will be brought back by Daka's revive in many cases since she's heavily owned. So your first FF target will be right back in your face with meter gain and offense up. RG forced fire on hisself, taking away Jinn's ability to kill Daka or something else.

It's not just purely RG that will be tough...but it's the RG+rez+cannons squads that will be quite tough to contain. You will have very difficult focus fire decisions to make. Do you hit the taunter, the rez toon, or the cannon that takes your head off if it's still standing? Do you just let Poggle go offense up for everyone?

Also, the buff block is <40% effectively on Anakin. Any counter has to get at least to 60%+ win rate before it matters because you can in theory always get to 50% vs. any specific team just by using a clone squad and doing coin flips...and probably a tad over 50% in clone teams considering the human vs. AI advantage that skews the result in a mirror match.

I'm not saying nerf - never said nerf Poe even ... but just wait...this passive taunt skill when optimized will be pivotal to how you play arena at the top levels and then eventually later as he leaks out. Tactics to win will largely come down to navigating around this skill. RG effectively is all speeds...he can proc and change the match at any speed level - he can operate in any speed dimension. He's an omnipresent taunt lifesaver. So you can't avoid his taunt by being fast or by being slow ....he will act at any time.
  • Options
    BentWookie wrote: »
    Royal Guard requires purple gear in 3 slots just to go from VI to VII. I can only imagine the brutality of gearing him up further.

I think I might just wait and see how this change works out before doing anything. :/

Not the worst purple gear at least. 20 Mk 6 Biotech implants ( I have 40 with no characters currently needing), 20 Mk 3 Sienar Holo Projectors (I have 23 with the only people currently needing them on my roster being Vader and Chewie, neither of whom I am investing in at the moment), and 20 Mk 4 Laptops which everyone needs but at least are available in the challenge.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    Just going through scenarios, I'm in the camp of not being a fan of this change. Imagine teams with like 88, Poggle, Daka, and RG....thrown in any 5th...let's say GS. What are you going to focus down on? With Daka in there and the rez potential, you generally have to FF on her...but that's not easy to take her all the way to death before RG procs his taunt and saves her. I think you can kill 88 easily without procing the taunt of RG, but then you probably can't kill Daka in rd 1...so she will try to rez 88. 88 will rez and blow your face off. I think it's going to create some miserable RNG defense slot combinations that's going to make it feel a lot like Poe where you weren't countering at a hard rate and the outcome was heavily influenced by RNG. Not sure it will be as bad - probably not, but I do think this helps take us toward a Poe-like situation where the game goes back to pivoting around one toon and most tactics hinge off of that skill.

It doesn't work that way. It is rather easy to circumvent RG taunt. You can run QGJ+Geo and use Geo's assist to kill off someone and proc RG's taunt and then dispel it with QGJ.

My favorite is just using Ani to put buff immunity on RG and then plough my way through them.

You just played in to the rez team's hands though. that killed off toon will be brought back by Daka's revive in many cases since she's heavily owned. So your first FF target will be right back in your face with meter gain and offense up. RG forced fire on hisself, taking away Jinn's ability to kill Daka or something else.

It's not just purely RG that will be tough...but it's the RG+rez+cannons squads that will be quite tough to contain. You will have very difficult focus fire decisions to make. Do you hit the taunter, the rez toon, or the cannon that takes your head off if it's still standing? Do you just let Poggle go offense up for everyone?

Also, the buff block is <40% effectively on Anakin. Any counter has to get at least to 60%+ win rate before it matters because you can in theory always get to 50% vs. any specific team just by using a clone squad and doing coin flips...and probably a tad over 50% in clone teams considering the human vs. AI advantage that skews the result in a mirror match.

I'm not saying nerf - never said nerf Poe even ... but just wait...this passive taunt skill when optimized will be pivotal to how you play arena at the top levels and then eventually later as he leaks out. Tactics to win will largely come down to navigating around this skill. RG effectively is all speeds...he can proc and change the match at any speed level - he can operate in any speed dimension. He's an omnipresent taunt lifesaver. So you can't avoid his taunt by being fast or by being slow ....he will act at any time.

+1000

This is coupled with no discernible weakness.

- He has low damage which is offset by a ridiculously high stun rate on his basic which is universally effective.
    - He has low speed which is offset by a guaranteed passive taunt with no known cool down.
    - He will potentially have the highest health in the game.
    - He will have respectable tenacity making him difficult to cc.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Really? Like how a lot of people overreacted on Poe, including yourself? You of all people should understand the dangers of calling for all-out nerfs when we can't see the whole picture. In Poe's case, we had no idea they would alter speed changes so dramatically.
    The calls for his speed to not be increased to 143 were absolutely correct at the time. There was no overreaction whatsoever, exactly what Instinct and others predicted happened. The changes they made took too long, were not what was asked for, and were completely misguided. I specifically opposed the nerfing they did because I was afraid it would not be enough and then future changes would result in over-nerfing. That is what happened.
    Seriously, EA/CG is in a no-win situation.
    There's a simple win situation: properly design and balance things. Is that so hard? They are taking in enormous amounts of money. They have expert game designers and a QA staff. They also have a pool of very eager advanced players who would be quite happy to beta test if they would only take advantage of it.
    At any rate, nobody is screaming for anything to be nerfed yet. We are simply analyzing what we have been told and considering what impact it will have.
    ETA: And yes, I will state as a general rule of thumb that putting in a character with a 100% out-of-turn taunt is probably a bad idea. There are very few out-of-turn abilities to begin with, that one is insanely strong, and if it is unlimited, is going to be a problem.
  • Options
    Telaan wrote: »

The more I think on this, the more unhappy with this change I become.

I love Anakin. I run him on my team now. But his healing/buff immunity is very unreliable. It's only got a 40% proc rate and is subject to being resisted. RG appears as if it will have decent tenacity so that makes it even more unreliable.

Dispelling the taunt is only a temporary fix since as soon as you get another toon below 50% health it'll proc again.

This should never have been allowed to get past the idea part of a discussion. The guaranteed taunt should only work for empire toons with a % chance on non-empire toons. I'm with @JohnnySteelAlpha on this.

@CG_JohnSalera any chance we could have a discussion of the logic behind all this?

@Qeltar it's best to contact CapitalMethod at Reddit since he's in charge of characters. Never assume people will be so proactive to pass on your points (which are good ones) to the ones who can make decisions.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    xJazzx wrote: »
    @Qeltar it's best to contact CapitalMethod at Reddit since he's in charge of characters. Never assume people will be so proactive to pass on your points (which are good ones) to the ones who can make decisions.

You got me and @Telaan mixed up because of our avatars. :) But IMO it's too soon to be bugging the devs directly, it will be here tomorrow, let's see what happens.
  • Tony167
    231 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Plasmaj wrote: »
    Royal Guard requires purple gear in 3 slots just to go from VI to VII. I can only imagine the brutality of gearing him up further.

I think I might just wait and see how this change works out before doing anything. :/

Not the worst purple gear at least. 20 Mk 6 Biotech implants ( I have 40 with no characters currently needing), 20 Mk 3 Sienar Holo Projectors (I have 23 with the only people currently needing them on my roster being Vader and Chewie, neither of whom I am investing in at the moment), and 20 Mk 4 Laptops which everyone needs but at least are available in the challenge.

Actually was pretty easy to get him to gear 7. I havnt gone any farther with him but to get To gear 8 is a little bit different, but still easier than most. From what I see

• Options
    Plasmaj wrote: »

True, but this is pretty steep for that gear level.. I wonder if the next steps will require 50? :/ I am going to adopt a "wait and see" philosophy and just stockpile gear until I see if the changes are as impactful as they seem on paper.
  • Options
    Telaan wrote: »

+1000

This is coupled with no discernible weakness.

- He has low damage which is offset by a ridiculously high stun rate on his basic which is universally effective.
    - He has low speed which is offset by a guaranteed passive taunt with no known cool down.
    - He will potentially have the highest health in the game.
    - He will have respectable tenacity making him difficult to cc.

Beginning to farm him now :O
  • Options
    I don't understand why people hate tanks so much. Tanks (even just one that's viable) allow for better matches than the quick draw damage fest we have now. I don't even remember the last time I ran a healer or defensive support unit. After they crushed Poe, he is still around but teams with all fast DPS just face roll though to the top now. No heals, no tanks, just offensive support and assist damage with whoever is fastest/luckiest with their assist draw winning.

The game now is just whoever each players GS and QGJ call as their assist toons.
  • Options
    @Qeltar @JohnnySteelAlpha @Telaan

Ok am i the only one who feels a sense of irony that they beach slap Poe down and then create a new monster.

Heck I never even seen a RG speak or make a sound in the movie. At least the sand people made some noises.

I mean i like that tanks will have a use now. but atm it will be RG.

RG seems destined to change the Meta and eventually get nerfed.

For someone around my play time. Impossible to Test.

It will be like POE likely the whales have him starred. all they need is to farm his gear ( not an easy feat of cos )

The F2P ( those who didnt get alot from bronzium ) maybe forced to farm him to compete

by the time we finish farming, then likely CG wil have to tone him down. They probably need to give it an internal cooldown ( at least for 1 round please )

this also demonstrates long term, the benefit whales have from spending all that money. All they need to do to adjust is to lvl up something and gear it up. A relatively new f2p wont have the resources to immediately switch.

I mean i cant blame CG for trying to open up the Meta. they will eventually open up more character options.
    They have good reason to maintain the game with this franchise having such a big potential for them.

More tanks, more shakeups is good for the game and their bottom line ;)

It's practically printing money.

Game is still a work in progress, technically we are beta testers

My shard is still non-whale friendly atm. so i suppose i will survive till i setup my Dooku/Daka/QGJ farm.

Rise of the Guy in a Red Dress
  • Options
    RG didn't make it to the game and yet I can see some recurrent anti-Poe names already suggesting he is too OP and ready to start the nerf-RG-posts from the moment he hits the game. It's unbelievable.

I'll make all this flagrant jealousy towards toons you can't have pretty simple for you:
    If RG is good then farm it, adapt your team or just shut up.
  • Daprosy
    90 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Just give everyone double the HP instead of all these stupid character buffs....and now...not at Lv 90

Its starting to seem like they are intentionally making certain toons OP and then will tone em down so people will continually waste resources and more importantly...keep spending.
  • Options
    AKK889 wrote: »
    RG didn't make it to the game and yet I can see some recurrent anti-Poe names already suggesting he is too OP and ready to start the nerf-RG-posts from the moment he hits the game. It's unbelievable.

I'll make all this flagrant jealousy towards toons you can't have pretty simple for you:
    Strawman fallacy. You're claiming that people are asking for nerfs because they are jealous that they can't get it and not because it has potential issues.Instead of passing snide remarks about people, why don't you address the points mentioned by posters regarding RG if you are convinced he doesn't need a nerf?We're all mature adults here,there is no need for any mud-slinging.
    AKK889 wrote: »
    If RG is good then farm it, adapt your team or just shut up.

This very same argument can be applied to an OP character that has 1 mil hp and 1 mil damage.
    Should we just say since it is good, we should farm it and adapt our team to it? There is an underlying assumption that the character is not overdone, and that there are consistent counters to it. But there aren't any since RG has high hp and can taunt multiple times out of turn. RG has turn meter gain,50% stun, decent potency and tenacity as well.

• Options
    I say let's see what happens.

But, man, if he taunts every time a char gets under 50% HP F2P are doomed. Pair him with Lumi and we'll have non dieing chars (char gets low health, RG taunts, Lumi heals or char gets his turn and heals itself [if Lumi has already used healing]).
  • Options

His changes haven't even gone live yet. We don't know how he's going to play out. I can understand people's desire to theorycraft, but calling for nerfs before his buffs have actually gone live yet? People complaining about his ability to do multiple taunts....when we don't even know if he's capable of that yet?
    Seriously, EA/CG is in a no-win situation. People complain how all they do is nerf toons, nerf toons, how about instead of nerfing all the time, they buff instead? So here they are, buffing a toon (agreed that RG is a strange choice), and what do they hear? OMG, he's too strong now!! He needs to be toned down!!
    I understand you have a passion/obsession with this game that many share, and I agree with many of your insights on other threads. Just don't be so zealous in your desires that you mistake your subjectivity for objectivity.

+5000

Totally!! And Poe needed much less taken from him. Useless poor fellow now. Also, the No Name Royal Guards are the personal guard of the most important and powerful enemy. Who says they must suck, or that "named" Chewy or Leia should be better than him? No names are ok for me.
  • Simda
    151 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    How about launching a character(RG) that may or may not be slightly overpower, just launch it anyways for people to scramble and get him...then launch new content later to keep people engage.

While Poe was a bad example, yoda is quite balanced and fun.

Does it also mean that I have fight 5 super guards and palpatine at the light battles. Don't think they share the same attribute. : )
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    Royal Guard taunts for 1 turn...imagine now, he taunts and the next character to go just happens to be him. Or 1 of your other toons, then him. His taunt expires at the end of his turn. W/out a 2-turn taunt, it could be worthless more often than helpful.
  • SpeedWeed
    504 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Poxx wrote: »
    Royal Guard taunts for 1 turn...imagine now, he taunts and the next character to go just happens to be him. Or 1 of your other toons, then him. His taunt expires at the end of his turn. W/out a 2-turn taunt, it could be worthless more often than helpful.

He isn't very fast.

So he should be the last toon to move.

110 speed

• Options
    Poxx wrote: »

But if you attack hard and early like QGJ, his taunt will last a few turns.
  • Options
    It's possible this has some limit to how often it can activate or some other restriction that didn't make it to the release notes. I guess we'll see. Not going to overreact before we even see what he can do, though we have been here before. Remember before the level 70 cap increase? "Surely they can see that giving Poe 143 speed will make him broken and fix that when the cap goes up."
    There's something very odd going on when players find serious issues that QA doesn't.. sometimes even before the patch goes live.

Yep, his limit how ever many character are still alive.
  • Options
    The update sounds cool and yes maybe it could be a little over-powered but it's hard to say until we actually get the update and play with it.

This game's PVP environment is just like any other that I've played, whether is a trading card game like "VS System" (I'm dating myself, LOL), Call of Duty and certain guns, World of Warcraft, etc. There is always some character or ability that is a little bit stronger that you have to try and work around somehow. I think that's just the nature of PVP, in that players are able to see aspects of the game developers are not and take different things to another level. PVP is always semi-unbalanced, can't nerf and buff everything; just have to take what's given and roll with it.
  • Options
    Dont get it what ppl are complaining about. Actually, everybody of top 20 beats everybody, which is kinda boring, too. There is no team on my server posing a difficult, even the whales suffer and drop out of top 10 daily
    At least, we could have a tank again. Already got rid of Poe, who was no support anymore.