Poe Dameron is too powerful in Squad Arena. Nerf in the coming update?

Replies

• Options
    Not every @WhipiT :(
    Just "fix" leia again and maybe fotp (he still shoots 3x) and review the speed meta. Thats all though not easy.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • sephiroth198900
    221 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I do agree with you whipit but honestly to end all this nonsense we need to have a civil discussion about a way to make everyone happy and I believe the best 2 ways are

Attack power drop on everyone
    Or
    Defense/armor increases

I'm just putting this out there only my opinion.
  • Options
    @sephiroth198900 I'd say damage output reduction or hp increase overall. But speed (turn meter manipulation) is also a tricky one.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Options
    CronozNL wrote: »
    Just "fix" leia again and maybe fotp (he still shoots 3x) and review the speed meta. Thats all though not easy.

@CronozNL Toons that are broken is a diff story. I have a 7* Leia and a 6* Fotp and Im all for fixing broken skills. But the poe argument is as silly as the phasma argument. None of the working as intended characters are even close to endgame level 80. So how can anyone judge balance? Do they expect the developers to balance it for each pitstop on the way to level 80? Not sure if that makes any sense but balancing a character around a certain level bracket instead of there power at level 80 would be silly. Poe is powerful at 70 so lets nerf him. What about at level 80 when toons can 2shot him? Nerf him now he may be useless at 80 and we all wasted our time.

I've said along lets get to lvl 80 then balance all you want as then you have enough information to actually make the proper changes.
  • Options
    I like that even better lol it also gives time for more charters to come out and who knows what kind of abilities they will have
  • obiwan1011
    396 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    WhipiT wrote: »
    Do they expect the developers to balance it for each pitstop on the way to level 80?

Yes.

What you are saying is like telling someone that things will be better in 10 years, so s. u. c. k it up now (pardon my language).

If CG is failing to do a proper game balancing at level 70, what makes you think the game will be balanced at level 80? You will be saying the same thing again; things will be better at level 90... or wait, level 100... no, level 110...
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Any character combo that beats my crappy team I want nerfed. The whole thread summed up in one sentence.

False, but that ridiculous comment does seem to sum up your pointless, ignorant, childish contributions to many threads these days.
    Many, many players are finally noticing the elephant in the living room: too much speed, too much damage, and Poe is extremely busted. Too many matches revolve entirely around luck and not skill. "Whose Poe goes first" should not be a deciding factor in most fights. And defense has become a non-entity in the game (which is why certain defense-oriented characters seem underpowered -- they are).
    A turn-based game should not be over before one side even gets a turn. Anyone who can't understand this, well, I don't even know what to say at this point.
    Speaking of luck, I actually came really close to beating one of these OP/broken teams in my last GW match today. I tried one of my standard GW squads (Barris/Dooku/Daka/Asajj/Lumi) and the opponents were Poe/QGJ/Leia/FOTP/Sid. Normally there is no prayer for me to win this fight and I knew that going in.
    Start was Sid AoEing, then I got to go and Dooku's stun stuck on Poe. Also, Leia stealthed instead of attacking. "Hmm, maybe this is possible?" I thought... because that was the only reason I even had a chance. Focused everything on keeping Poe from taunting, except Dooku, whose "job" was to keep QGJ occupied, and he did that job well. Everything went my way pretty much: I eventually stunned Poe again, GQJ was ability blocked for much of the fight. But FOTP and Leia were still pecking off my guys.
    At the end I lost with his FOTP at a red sliver and Sid about half-way down. I mopped up with some other guys for the completion.
    Now I think I made some good choices here, but it was all luck. If Poe taunts before Dooku gets a turn, or Dooku's stun doesn't stick, that's it, game over before I get to do anything else. That anyone claiming to be a serious gamer would defend fights where luck is nearly always the deciding factor is beyond me.
    Best part of the fight... opponent Leia attacks my Dooku who is at full health. Two hits. He counters, then counters again, then gets a third bonus attack. Then it's his turn, I attack Leia with him, ANOTHER bonus attack, bye-bye Leia. Fun to watch, but again, a royal fluke.
    Incidentally, in this game, the opponent FOTP took out my fully-geared, fully-healed, Barriss-buffed, 7* Luminara in one double-attack. Yay balance. Bugged FOTP, with his 10k+ damage per round self-buffed and a HP bar like a tank, is so ridiculous I actually laughed when it happened.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options

@CronozNL Toons that are broken is a diff story. I have a 7* Leia and a 6* Fotp and Im all for fixing broken skills. But the poe argument is as silly as the phasma argument. None of the working as intended characters are even close to endgame level 80. So how can anyone judge balance? Do they expect the developers to balance it for each pitstop on the way to level 80? Not sure if that makes any sense but balancing a character around a certain level bracket instead of there power at level 80 would be silly. Poe is powerful at 70 so lets nerf him. What about at level 80 when toons can 2shot him? Nerf him now he may be useless at 80 and we all wasted our time.

I've said along lets get to lvl 80 then balance all you want as then you have enough information to actually make the proper changes.

Toons can already 2 shot him Oo

If rooms weren't 1-2shotting people so much he would not be considered such a problem...

And no they don't need perfect balance all the way (why is 80 endgame? Why not further? Why is endgame not 4 years from now?) but it seems crazy to just not give a **** about balance for "the foreseeable future" and let a single ability decide the outcome of so many games for at least a month...I don't really care if it's a small fix or a bigger change overall but when you see one ability outperforming entire characters that fill the similar roles massively then giving it a moments attention, even if just to tweak the numbers a tiny bit like reducing his speed by 1, is hardly too much to ask.

I mean do you really think if they plan to have this an an ongoing game where they keep bringing out levels and content they should literally just never bother to touch any character stat again? Just let whatever happens happens and if one character ends up deciding 99% of the battles (not saying that here, just what if we follow your thinking through) and a single change to a single number could open the gates for far more diversity...just say "well maybe he won't be so strong in a couple of months".
  • Options
    Well honestly I believe games like these are basically thrown together they don't go through months and years of testing like console or pc games so now they are playing by ear from what we have to say and majority of complaints are of characters and abilities and that's why the real issues are being missed so for those who enjoy this game it's up to us to have it fixed right and I can promise charters and abilities are not the problem
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    Wait wait, so you are ripping on Whipit for childish comments suggesting we don't need to insta nerf things, and then you provide an example of how you beat said character who everyone (including you) is claiming needs to nerf?

So you used STRATEGY to win? Sure RNG is involved, but RNG is involved in almost all games.

I am all on the bandwagon that Poe should have one speed less, but it's a little baffling that people post examples of how to beat a team and then follow it up with the team they just beat needs a nerf.
  • Options
    Rheen wrote: »
    Lol like I said let's see so actual factual proof give me a video of how poe is op and I will jump on the nerf poe bandwagon

Because of his turn meter manipulation, he allows his team to go ahead of the other team, even if the characters are slower. Because of the current state of damage in the game, this often decides the match.

Sometimes your guys or your Poe will get to go before their Poe. Sometimes they won't.

I think what people are feeling is that too much of the outcome is decided by RNG. Here is a an example of what I mean. I put Dooku and some other fast characters in as an example of what people have been calling for as a "solution" to Poe. All of these characters that I used have a chance of going before Poe, except for Qui Gon Jin, who people claim is the ultimate counter to Poe because he "can" dispel Poe's taunt.

I won't say any more--the video says enough.

You should cry more.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    obiwan1011 wrote: »
    If CG is failing to do a proper game balancing at level 70, what makes you think the game will be balanced at level 80? You will be saying the same thing again; things will be better at level 90... or wait, level 100... no, level 110...

That. What do I care about level 80? That could be in 6 months.
    The Star Wars movie is now 2 months old. The hype and attention are over and the game has to survive on its own merits. If they wait until level 80 to rebalance, they will be doing it for a small fraction of their current playerbase.
    Of course, they know that. So we'll see what they come up with. It's really obvious that they were rushed to get it out before the movie, so hopefully with more time will come more polish.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Barrok wrote: »
    Wait wait, so you are ripping on Whipit for childish comments suggesting we don't need to insta nerf things, and then you provide an example of how you beat said character who everyone (including you) is claiming needs to nerf?
    If this is what you got from my post I suggest you read it again.

I didn't beat the team. And I only got close out of pure luck. The odds of Dooku landing a stun on Poe are probably under 1 in 4 (only 40% base chance, and he resists almost everything). So, about 75% of the time, I lose before I even get a turn to do anything but take 2k off Poe. That's broken. Actually, it's even worse than that, because sometimes Poe will go first. Probably 90% of the time I insta-lose to that team.
    I could redo that fight 20 other ways and Poe will get his taunt off and then I insta-lose. It was pure luck. I said that repeatedly.
    There are people in this thread making specific arguments and giving examples of how everything now turns on overpowered characters, speed and luck. And in response we have childish comments misrepresenting the thread, people like you responding to things that were never said, and of course, the ever-helpful "cry more".
    Poe is busted. Everyone knows it. He will be fixed. Deal with it.
  • Options
    But I'm sure they also know that if they do fix the actual problems they will have a very loyal fan base this is a star wars game star was has a very large a loyal fan base which is why I believe they are trying to be active in this game they are just listening to the wrong people
  • Options
    Wispsi wrote: »

If rooms weren't 1-2shotting people so much he would not be considered such a problem...

And no they don't need perfect balance all the way (why is 80 endgame? Why not further? Why is endgame not 4 years from now?) but it seems crazy to just not give a **** about balance for "the foreseeable future" and let a single ability decide the outcome of so many games for at least a month...I don't really care if it's a small fix or a bigger change overall but when you see one ability outperforming entire characters that fill the similar roles massively then giving it a moments attention, even if just to tweak the numbers a tiny bit like reducing his speed by 1, is hardly too much to ask.

I mean do you really think if they plan to have this an an ongoing game where they keep bringing out levels and content they should literally just never bother to touch any character stat again? Just let whatever happens happens and if one character ends up deciding 99% of the battles (not saying that here, just what if we follow your thinking through) and a single change to a single number could open the gates for far more diversity...just say "well maybe he won't be so strong in a couple of months".

Eh, I give up. Lets agree to disagree.
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Barrok wrote: »
    If this is what you got from my post I suggest you read it again.

I didn't beat the team. And I only got close out of pure luck. The odds of Dooku landing a stun on Poe are probably under 1 in 4 (only 40% base chance, and he resists almost everything). So, about 75% of the time, I lose before I even get a turn to do anything but take 2k off Poe. That's broken.
    There are people in this thread making specific arguments and giving examples of how everything now turns on overpowered characters, speed and luck. And in response we have childish comments misrepresenting the thread, people like you responding to things that were never said, and of course, the ever-helpful "cry more".
    Poe is busted. Everyone knows it. He will be fixed. Deal with it.

Hmm, what I got from your post, in between all the whining, was that you used characters that had skills available to counter a strong team, and you used these skills to your advantage. Doing so helped increase your odds of winning, even though your team was substantially weaker. I call this strategy.

Also, I am fine with Poe being changed, so asking me to deal with it doesn't make any sense.

Maybe we should have more people using strategy rather than just complaining about everything. (again, I still think Poe needs a tweak.. you see that qeltar.. I THINK HE NEEDS A TWEAK).
  • Options

The Star Wars movie is now 2 months old. The hype and attention are over and the game has to survive on its own merits. If they wait until level 80 to rebalance, they will be doing it for a small fraction of their current playerbase.
    Of course, they know that. So we'll see what they come up with. It's really obvious that they were rushed to get it out before the movie, so hopefully with more time will come more polish.

Level 80 is probably not very far away. But hey lets just balance the whole game for level 70 because this is bothering ny gameplay so bad it must be changed now. Lol thats what I read.
  • Options
    Wispsi wrote: »

Eh, I give up. Lets agree to disagree.

No seriously though there is 2 more films at least coming out, there might be another 3 coming after that! what if they decide to add in another row or another 10 levels? When does it ever come to contemplating balance?
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Level 80 is probably not very far away. But hey lets just balance the whole game for level 70 because this is bothering ny gameplay so bad it must be changed now. Lol thats what I read.
    The game should be continuously balanced. They should be testing combinations at the new level max BEFORE they release it.
    Poe being able to go first in a fight should never have happened.
  • Options
    Lol this is why I give up because it's always going to come back to someone complaining about charters and it's so obvious that is not the problem
  • Otar
    252 posts Member
    Options

Imagine that stupid argument on a game like WoW... Don't worry next expansion we get 10 more lvls and Blizz WILL balance everything...
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The Poe 143 speed thing was so obvious a problem before the 70 patch even came out, and why CG didn't even consider slightly altering his gear before the patch is beyond me. Now, "fixing" it requires a nerf. Before, "fixing" it meant altering stuff that wasn't released yet, bothering no one.

Comparing Poe 143 speed to anything else in the game atm in regards to problematic balance automatically indicates a generally poor understanding of the issue. It's unlike all other balance issues and creates problems for very different reasons than, say, FOTP being ungodly powerful and OP. FOTP is broken for an entirely different set of reasons than Poe. If people can't see the differences and understand what's going on here, well... that's your own shortcoming. But plenty do, and it's a seriously concerning issue that enough people actually think Poe is not a problem right now. I have the same sort of disbelief in their existence as a plausible reality as I do in believing we actually have Trump supporters in this country. Despite all logic and reason, they exist nonetheless.
  • Tak
    352 posts Member
    Options
    But I'm sure they also know that if they do fix the actual problems they will have a very loyal fan base this is a star wars game star was has a very large a loyal fan base which is why I believe they are trying to be active in this game they are just listening to the wrong people

I sure as hell hope they wouldn't listen to you. It's obvious you are not playing top end in arena.

Their is very valid issues with speedy characters, too much damage from others,turn meter manipulation from Poe. Bugs like leia and fotp.

They need to quash the fotp and leia bugs asap. Get rid of Poe turn meter removal or have a chance for tenacity to resist it and re-evaluate from there. I suspect the damage overall is still too high but fix those 3 quickly and you will have a better idea of game balance
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Im just saying if there is a real problem like leia yes please fix it and they did but all this crying because a characters abilities makes them hard to beat it's ridiculous that's the whole point to the game find charters with abilities that work together and build a badass team.
    The whole point of the game is to have a healthy enviroment with olenty useful strategies, so people can experiment and try, and use rock-scissor-paper strats ti beat others. You could have AOE beating single target, healing beatinf AOE, Control beating hesling and single target beating control, or whatever. Right now it seems more and more clear thst there are two strategies: go first, and lose.

Have you every played Magic The Gathering? I did for a long time. Do you remember the era of Black lotus- channel- fireball, first turn win without the opponent even having a turn or drawing a card? I do. The point of M:tG was to find combos of cards that you could play into a strong deck. But if a particular combo provee to be too powerful or dominant, it's banned/nerfed. That's why Channel got banned and Black Lotus restricted to 1 per deck.

Let's ser what happens the next weeks, but I feel that a turn 7 chsr who steal turn meter id pretty close to channel-fireball
  • Options
    Lmao see that's the funniest thing about this everyone of you who start bad mouthing people is because you're getting so desperate from being proven wrong have you not noticed this anyone? Lmao charters are not the issue here and with that being said I bid you all a good day have fun on the forums I'm done for real for real lol
  • Options
    The game should be continuously balanced. They should be testing combinations at the new level max BEFORE they release it.
    Poe being able to go first in a fight should never have happened.

Qeltar has a great point here. Poe shouldn't be able to go before anyone else. It's silly and limit arena diversity.
  • Rogan_Ban84
    1415 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    As for fotp, not sure if that is a bug. In cases where he shoots 3 times, I've noticed after his bounus attack, if he gains advantage, he'll shoot again. But thats what the description says., gain advantage he shoots again. So he is working as intended, and if you cant take him down before his turn, your team is just plain bad. And yes qeltar, before you reply to my post whining, tie pilot is balaned. But I speak as a one of the top players in my bracket. And no I don't have leia or old ben.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Naecabon wrote: »
    The Poe 143 speed thing was so obvious a problem before the 70 patch even came out, and why CG didn't even consider slightly altering his gear before the patch is beyond me. Now, "fixing" it requires a nerf. Before, "fixing" it meant altering stuff that wasn't released yet, bothering no one.
    Yep, exactly. This shouldn't even have happened. Amusingly enough, Poe being left like this when they raised the cap is the perfect example of what happens when you do not balance continually.

Naecabon wrote: »
    Comparing Poe 143 speed to anything else in the game atm in regards to problematic balance automatically indicates a generally poor understanding of the issue. It's unlike all other balance issues and creates problems for very different reasons than, say, FOTP being ungodly powerful and OP. FOTP is broken for an entirely different set of reasons than Poe. If people can't see the differences and understand what's going on here, well... that's your own shortcoming. But plenty do, and it's a seriously concerning issue that enough people actually think Poe is not a problem right now. I have the same sort of disbelief in their existence as a plausible reality as I do in believing we actually have Trump supporters in this country. Despite all logic and reason, they exist nonetheless.

This forum needs an applause emoticon, among other things.
    I put it down to Sturgeon's Law, which applies to Internet forums probably more than anything that existed when it was coined.
    Make solid arguments, get back heckling and "cry more". Welcome to gaming forums, I guess.
  • Options
    Again. Poe's speed is not the problem. It is why he is the only viable tank in the traditional sense of a big armored HP guy protecting a little attacker (Han has some utility but not as a protector of glass cannons).

Poe's ability to manipulate the other team's turn meter, enabling people he is not technically protecting to proc, is the problem.

IF they ever nerf him I hope they realize that. Altering his turn meter effect will still allow him to maintain some utility. Significantly reducing his speed so he is even a tier below where he is currently and both Poe AND the cannons he protects become memories of a lost meta...
  • Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    As for fotp, not sure if that is a bug. In cases where he shoots 3 times, I've noticed after his bounus attack, if he gains advantage, he'll shoot again. But thats what the description says., gain advantage he shoots again.

It's the same bug as Leia. There's some weird bug happening where a character "resets" their attack after applying a buff so that the first bonus attack is actually being considered as the first basic attack all over again, therefore allowing for a third/fourth extra bugged attack after regular checks for additional bonuses.

They didn't fix Leia after claiming they did and FOTP is definitely not fixed either.